Clay Extruder

Decorating By Ladybug09 Updated 2 May 2010 , 2:33am by bntbushnell

Ladybug09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug09 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 50

What brand of clay extruder do you all use? I bought a cheapo one from AC Moore & it is a pain, literally! I was wondering if more expensive meant easier on the hands???

TIA

49 replies
badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 11:55pm
post #2 of 50

The green one from Makins clay with the twist handle is easy to use and you can usually find it on sale at Michaels or some place similar.

cnhiatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cnhiatt Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 50

I agree. I got the Makins one for Christmas and it is very easy to use.

CRAZY-CAKES Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CRAZY-CAKES Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:22am
post #4 of 50

what is a "day extruder"?

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:43am
post #5 of 50

I doubt I'll be MUCH help here, but.... I purchased the Craft Gun from a cake supply store in the Northeast for about $65.00. I inquired about its use and specifically the possible strain on the hand/wrist area. I was told that it's relative to how much I'd be using it at one time. I haven't used mine yet, so I can't speak from direct experience (yet!); but it sounds like it could potentially be a bit of a pain. icon_rolleyes.gif

[Edited: for correction]

badkitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badkitty Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:53am
post #6 of 50

Clay extruders are used for making long uniform strings of clay/fondant instead of having to roll snakes by hand. They come with discs with round, half round, square, triangular holes etc for a variety of shapes and sizes of extrusions.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #7 of 50

Love my Makins Ultimate Clay Extuder--shiny light green metal with a "T" twist handle. Long barrel, easy on the hands, cheap, lots of disks. You don't need to add much crisco to the fondant/gum paste, either, in order to get it to go thru the extruder easily, either. Just a little bit makes it a bit easier.

As for any push extruder--metal, or plastic--they're junk and not worth the pain.

The -s-u-g-a-r-c-r-a-f-t-gun (red & black squeeze handle) is expensive, has a short barrel (so less product length), & requires a lot of crisco to be kneaded into the fondant in order not to hurt your hand too much. Mine sits in the drawer while I use the Makins Ultimate.

Rae

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 12:58am
post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZY-CAKES

what is a "day extruder"?

Hi! A clay extruder is a tool used for making ribbons, ropes, hair, tassles, grass... The possibilities are great! Mine says it can be used with fondant, sugarpaste, marzipan, etc., and came with 16 changeable disks. I initially purchased it to make sugarpaste tiaras. (I have made them out of royal icing, but I LOVE the nice clean lines of those I've been on this site which were made from sugarpaste.) icon_smile.gif

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #9 of 50

I just got my Makin's extruder...worked just great, but careful assembling it for the first time...I got a couple of nasty metal splinters that took forever to get out!! Then again...could just be me...I'm very accident prone icon_wink.gif !!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:07am
post #10 of 50

I also use the Makin's green clay extruder. I've used other ones but they are most difficult on your hands. Here's a tidbit for you--make sure you put lots (I mean lots) of shortening on the fondant before you pack it into the extruder. It should be pretty slimey (work the shortening into the fondant but make sure it is really well coated). This helps the fondant to be expressed through the extruder without much pain!

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:38am
post #11 of 50

I just bought the green Makin's (after reading a thread here the other day) and OMG, it is so much better than the smaller(not cheaper though) one that I had. No pain, all gain! Love it.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:55am
post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Love my Makins Ultimate Clay Extuder--shiny light green metal with a "T" twist handle. Long barrel, easy on the hands, cheap, lots of disks. You don't need to add much crisco to the fondant/gum paste, either, in order to get it to go thru the extruder easily, either. Just a little bit makes it a bit easier.

As for any push extruder--metal, or plastic--they're junk and not worth the pain.

The -s-u-g-a-r-c-r-a-f-t-gun (red & black squeeze handle) is expensive, has a short barrel (so less product length), & requires a lot of crisco to be kneaded into the fondant in order not to hurt your hand too much. Mine sits in the drawer while I use the Makins Ultimate.

Rae

Rae - THANK YOU so much for this insight!!! I have been tossing up whether to buy a Makins or go the whole hog for an expensive s-u-g-a-r-c-r-a-f-t gun that you describe...I will definitely go the Makins now! I can't wait to ditch the metal Sculpey hand-eater that I use atm!! Thanks!!

Ladybug09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladybug09 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 50

Thank you all so much...green Makins it is!

chaisme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaisme Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:07pm
post #14 of 50

Has anyone ever tried the Play Doh brand extruder? Silly I know but it does all of the same things as the expensive ones, and has a lot of attachments.

SoonerGirl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoonerGirl1968 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:22pm
post #15 of 50

I got this one and will be using it on a cake next week. The little ones would probably be great for smaller projects but I needed a big one. This one is heavy-duty and the same price as the ones at Hobby Lobby & Michael's. You can put over a pound of fondant in at a time so you're not constantly reloading. I can't wait to use it.

http://www.mudinmind.com/Pottery+Tools/Extruders-+small/Medium+Clay+Extruder+Gun.html

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:45pm
post #16 of 50

Glad to see this post. It helps making my decision. Thanks everyone!

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:45pm
post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl1968

I got this one and will be using it on a cake next week. The little ones would probably be great for smaller projects but I needed a big one. This one is heavy-duty and the same price as the ones at Hobby Lobby & Michael's. You can put over a pound of fondant in at a time so you're not constantly reloading. I can't wait to use it.

http://www.mudinmind.com/Pottery+Tools/Extruders-+small/Medium+Clay+Extruder+Gun.html

I have a slightly larger version of the one in the link above. Several of the things that you don't realize about it is:
1. You actually NEED to pack in a good amount of fondant because of the diameter of the barrel (too little material just flattens out & you get a small extrusion).
2. Odds are good that you'll never need as much extruded as you'll get from a full barrel (or even half full). You're pushing the fondant thru a very small hole, so you will get YARDS & YARDS of extrusion from a full barrel.
3. This type of grip and sqeeze mechanism is extremely hard on the hands, especially when using dies with very small holes and especially if you have small hands.

Of course, it comes with very few disks, too, so in order to get others, you have to make an additional investment.

I honestly prefer to use my Makins Ultimate over this one.

JMHO
Rae

SoonerGirl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoonerGirl1968 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:21am
post #18 of 50

Rae - Thanks for the info. That is good to know. I'm hoping I don't regret buying it! I guess I'll know after I cover 3 tiers next week. Maybe I'll recruit someone else to squeeze while I cut icon_smile.gif

Evoir Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:23am
post #19 of 50

Just ordered my Makins. Thanks again Rae for your detailed synopsis!

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:31am
post #20 of 50

Hope you hgave lots of fun with your new toy icon_lol.gif

Rae

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:56am
post #21 of 50

well my husband bought me this vintage cookie machine thingy. He paid a dollar for it . Hes like can you can stick (marshmellow paste lol !!!) in it .

I m like hun I doubt it, but I have wondered if i can. Does anyone know? It looks just like a clay extruder gun. just of course with different attachments.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:17am
post #22 of 50

Where can you get one?

Evoir Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:41am
post #23 of 50

ayerim - why don't you do an experiment and see how it works?

I think the rachet function on the cookie machine thing might create some non-uniformity in the result, but I guess it depends on how you handle it overall!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:10am
post #24 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayerim979

well my husband bought me this vintage cookie machine thingy. He paid a dollar for it . Hes like can you can stick (marshmellow paste lol !!!) in it .

I m like hun I doubt it, but I have wondered if i can. Does anyone know? It looks just like a clay extruder gun. just of course with different attachments.

You might be able to. When you make cookies with those things, some of the dough squishes out above the metal disc that pushes it down and it might be more likely to do that with fondant.

Is it the kind that's part pinkish metal? Those have a screw top on them which should work better than the modern kind.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayerim979

I think I know which one your talking about...I was going to buy a $25 Makins and remembered my mom gave me this Swedish Spritz (cookie) maker and I (being a cheapskate) thought I could use it as an alternate! It does work but my hands and palm KILLED after 5 minutes and only a foot of results. Not worth it! Going to buy a Makins with my next paycheck!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #26 of 50

I have the silver cheapo one and I agree it's a pain to use... but since I only use it for small details here and there... I haven't gotten the shiny green one... that's the one Ron Ben Israel uses and recommends... I will get it eventually though.... it's a lot easier...

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 10:11pm
post #27 of 50

Makins Ultimate Clay Extuder is the only way to go. Don't know how I lived without mine. Bought it off of e-bay.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 10:36pm
post #28 of 50

Cool! Thanks for the information everyone. I am glad I came across this post. I was going to order one next week for $45.00. It's nice to know that there are other options out there. I think I will order the Makins Ultimate Clay Extuder. It's 1/2 the price! icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:27am
post #29 of 50

I bought my Makins Ultimate Clay Extruder at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon and it cost me $12.49. Don't know how I ever survived w/o it. It's one of my "must have" tools icon_smile.gif

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:07pm
post #30 of 50

I went to my local ACMoore yesterday looking for the Makins Ultimate Clay Extruder. They did not have it. icon_sad.gif They did have another one for 11.99. I purchased it with a 50%off coupon so I paid $6+ including taxes. I was happy with the price, but was not sure of the quality. When I got home me and my mom decided to test it out. We used SatinIce fondant for the test. I did not have to use Crisco or anything. It worked great! I played with all attachments/discs that it came with and I was surprised at how nicely it worked.
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%