New 16" Pan Help Needed

Baking By chilicat57 Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 11:06pm by tirby

chilicat57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilicat57 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 5

I got a Wilton 16 x 3 in. Deep Decorator Preferred® Round Pan, used the correct amount of batter to pan as per Wilton, baked it as per Wilton and had a cake that was sunk in the center, dense on one half and dry on the outside ... the recipe I used is a tried and true recipe but I have never used a pan this large before. I have a regular gas oven, temp is correct per thermometer inside and I even baked it for 10 minutes longer than required as it wasn't quite done ... so any helpful hints would be appreciated.

I am a professional cupcake baker and am just now getting into doing cakes, could it be my cupcake recipe doesn't translate to a full size cake? Thank you for any suggestions icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 5

it could be the recipe... Also one thing with the larger pans SOME people use a heating core. (I dont) and somer use wraps on the outside of the pan. Bake even strips I think they are called
I use dish towels cut into lengths and soaked in water then pinned arround the pan. It helps keep the outside from browning or cooking to quickly while the center has a little more time to cook. ...Any one else?

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 11:01pm
post #3 of 5

Bake on a lower temperature, use a flower nail or two in the center instead of the heating core, and rotate your pan in the oven half way through baking, so that one side is not close to the oven walls during entire baking.

chilicat57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilicat57 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks I had already thought of the rotating ... will try the nails too.

A lower temp than 325?

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 5

I do 325...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%