Whoo Hooo! Got My Cricut Today!

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm by galliesway

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:29am
post #1 of 21

Went to big lots for the $99 create sale and they were sold out...of course. So I picked up the flyer and headed to Walmart. Theirs was $189 but priced match with no problem!

Now I have to figure this thing out lol. icon_biggrin.gif

20 replies
keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:39am
post #2 of 21

I love my Cricut! Although, I'm just starting to use it with my cake stuff - have only tried a couple of things - wasn't thrilled with my results, but I'm going to work on tweeking fondant and having a go at it again. Once you get comfortable, they are a breeze to use!

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:26am
post #3 of 21

Gumpaste actually works better than fondant with the cricut. You can use fondant, but you will need ALOT of tylose for it to work. I've been using the cricut for over a year now, and have had lots of trails and errors. But once you have it figured out, it pays off.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:24pm
post #4 of 21

icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif What!? Walmart price-matched?! I was one who stood outside Big Lots yesterday for an hour before opening..I was 3rd in line but they only had 2 in stock! Another poster here said Walmart wouldn't match the price because Big Lots isn't considered competition for them? Do you just take it to the register or do you have to go to help desk??

Glad you got your Cricut!! thumbs_up.gif

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 21

What is a cricut?

sgraff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgraff Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 21

Wal Mart price matched for me today, although they did make the comment that they don't usually price match Big Lots since it is a "discount store".

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 21

I thought cricut was for paper only? How do you get the fondant out afterwards? Cleaning it?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 21

"Discount Store" What the He!! is WalMart?

sgraff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgraff Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Believe me, that was the first thought that popped into my head!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:41pm
post #10 of 21

I had no problem with them price matching. They didn't ask a question about it. Just up and did it.

Today I went and got the Cricut design studio for only $49 on clearance at Walmart! It hooks to your computer so you don't have to have all those different cartridges.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

It hooks to your computer so you don't have to have all those different cartridges.

Are you sure? Several of the reviews on Wal-Mart complained that while you could play around with all of the designs, you can't "cut what you see" unless you have the cartridge with those images.

Some of the reviews were from 2008 and 2009-maybe they've changed it? It would be great if they did.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:54pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Today I went and got the Cricut design studio for only $49 on clearance at Walmart! It hooks to your computer so you don't have to have all those different cartridges.

Will the Cricut Design Studio work with ALL the cricut models (Experession, Personal, etc.)

I don't really need a big Expressions, I could get along with a smaller unit but I'd really like to be able to connect it to a computer.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 10:56pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

LOL - Maybe Walmart doesn't know they're considered a discount store icon_eek.gif

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 11:15pm
post #14 of 21

Found my answer: The software doesn't GIVE you images to cut-just design. If you actually want to cut, you have the have the cartridge(s) for the image(s) you want.

Found this thread with this answer: "The only limitation (as you are aware) is that you can only CUT with the actual cartridge that came with your cricut. (George for the original, DonJuan for the create, Accent Essentials & Plantin SB for the Expression).

You CAN however DESIGN with every cart. You can save those designs to cut once you have a registered copy of DS provided you have the actual cart used in the design. "

Thread: www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=6150030

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:05am
post #15 of 21

Can someone post a photo of a cake decoration done using a cricut?? I'm curious to see how one woulod use it. Thanks

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:20am
post #16 of 21

me too, id love to see what it looks like. I have the cricut and LOTS of cartridges

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:30am
post #17 of 21

Ginger and Lettherebecake07:

Check out youtube for a cool video on cricuit machine cakes. You can make soooo many, And they all look awsome.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:48pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger6361

Can someone post a photo of a cake decoration done using a cricut?? I'm curious to see how one woulod use it. Thanks

Here are a two of the cakes I have done.
LL
LL

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:19pm
post #19 of 21

Design Studio is software made for the Cricut cartridges. It's basically a mat on the computer screen that allows you to move, enlarge, weld, ect a Cricut cartridge image.
You do not use Design Studio if you use Sure Cuts A Lot. SCAL is also like your Cricut mat on the computer screen. There's lots of FREE fonts, dingbats, & images that you can download. You can also download SVG file images & cut them (I haven't done this as of yet). There's some great tutorials on how to do all this stuff if you purchase SCAL.
I was confused when I bought DS & thought that you needed it to cut with the Cricut. I've only bought one cartridge (one came with the machine) & have only used DS once.
I'm no expert by no means, but I have had some luck using fondant mixed with tylose. I've used Wilton & Satin ice with good results. I haven't tried any intricate designs except for letters which didn't work out too well.
Most of the decor on this cake was made with the Cricut:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1589492.html

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:45pm
post #20 of 21

The free version of Cricut design studio is needed to upgrade the firmware on the Cricut to work with SCAL - that's a download off the Cricut web site. The firmware upgrade itself is refreshingly easy.

Tobias

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm
post #21 of 21

I want one so bad I just don't know if I can hold out for the cake one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%