Draping

Decorating By scionmom Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 2:05am by scionmom

scionmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scionmom Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:05am
post #1 of 7

I have a couple questions about fondant draping, and all of the input I can get will be very helpful. I am wanting to do my first draping this weekend and i have read in many places that you are supposed to used 50/50 or 60/40, fondant/gumpaste. How does that work when it is being cut? Doesnt it harden? Do you have to take it off before it is cut? And the best way to stick it is what: piping gel, tylose, or RI?

Thank you all!
Happy caking!

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, I would make them with 50/50 fondant and gumpaste mix, but some do those with just fondant. Royal Icing is the best thing to stick them on the cake.

Edited to post this link,

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 7

I have used wooden skewers to hold them in place before, especially if they're heavy at all. I just make sure to take them out before I cut the cake. Also, make sure they're not splintering at all. Sometimes they come out of the package that way. Yuck!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:05am
post #4 of 7

Here's a picture tutorial:

http://tinyurl.com/ye63dww

HTH

scionmom Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you all very much! Anybody know about the cutting situation? The cake is for Friday evening, and i plan on taking it to venue completely done... How do I make sure the fondant/gumpaste doesnt get dry or do I just take them off before the cake is cut?

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:54am
post #6 of 7

Just watched the youtube video...out of curiousity, do all of you that do drapes use the dowel technique, or can you just "freehand" them?? Thanks!

scionmom Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:05am
post #7 of 7

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you! I was able to figure it out, Jan the link really helped! I did use the dowel method and it worked great. Here is how it turned out.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1589538

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%