How Much Do I Charge?

Baking By bethie713 Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm by KHalstead

bethie713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethie713 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 5

I need some advice. I got an order for 100 cupcakes and I'm not sure how much to charge. The order is for a baby shower and she wants plain white cupcakes with pink and chocolate icing. I was thinking $2 each. Does this sound to high or to low? What's the norm?

4 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:37am
post #2 of 5

If you do a search for other pricing threads you'll find all the information you need to work out the right price for your area/market

LacyHogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacyHogan Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:08am
post #3 of 5

I agree that it definitely depends on the prices in your area. I charge 1.50 per cupcake and more of course if filled and/or decorated with anything besides icing. Good luck!!

cakedecorating101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedecorating101 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 5

Hi there,

It really depends on whether you are working from home or from a shop front but I saw an interesting breakdown of what someone decided she had to charge to make a profit. She had a shopfront as well:-
60c. ingredients, 57c. mortgage and utilities, 48c. labour, 18c. packaging and merchant fees, 16c. loan repayments, 24c. marketing, 18c. miscellaneous, 4c. insurance = 2.45c. She was charging $3 per cupcake.
Personally I would make my cupcakes absolutely out of this world and charge $3 and have everyone raving about them and coming back for more and telling all their friends.

Don't forget to collect the names and contact details of all your clients and keep in touch regularly with them. Everyone has various events throughout the year and if really happy will tell all their friends.

I hope this helps.

Sigrid
http://cakedecoratingprofits.weebly.com

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 5

don't forget that you also need to know what size cupcakes you're charging for.

A standard cupcake is not very big at all, maybe 3 bites worth, I charge $.75/each for those with just a swirl of icing

I have some muffin sized cupcakes that are about 5 or 6 bites and I charge $1.50/each for those w/ a swirl of icng.

I also have "king sized" cupcakes that are about 3 X's the size of a normal cupcake and I charge $2.50 each for those.

my $.75 cupcakes are generally what people want, and are the same size as a cupcake you'd get at walmart in the little six packs (so you know how large I'm talking about)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%