Im A Convert To Smbc

Decorating By momma28 Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 12:15am by momma28

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 37

I don't think I can EVER go back to a confectioners sugar based buttercream again. I have offered smbc for while now but really did not prefer it myself until I tried the well dressed cake recipe and UNsalted butter. What a difference.

I had a couple who wanted butter pecan so I figured the over buttery nature of smbc would lend itself well to that application. I substituted 1/4 of the sugar for brown sugar...AMAZING!!! They were blown away and so was my husband!

36 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 37

That's awesome.

I'm so sad that my HD won't approve either SMBC or IMBC because it's perishable. I really do prefer it too! icon_cry.gificon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_sad.gif

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:24am
post #3 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

That's awesome.

I'm so sad that my HD won't approve either SMBC or IMBC because it's perishable. I really do prefer it too! icon_cry.gificon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_sad.gif

Is it perishable if you use dried eggwhites?

Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:51am
post #4 of 37

I don't know Julzs, can it be made that way?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:53am
post #5 of 37

Deb how do they figure that SMBC is more perishable then American butter cream? They both contain butter and the egg whites are cooked from the syrup process.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:00am
post #6 of 37

yummy!!

Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #7 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Deb how do they figure that SMBC is more perishable then American butter cream? They both contain butter and the egg whites are cooked from the syrup process.

They consider anything that needs refrigeration to be perishable in my county. It may vary from state to state, but I can't even use cream cheese icing. They are extremely strict here.

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:57am
post #8 of 37
Quote:

LaBella I have read several places that the eggs don't actually reach high enough temperature to be considered safe. But I did read something recently that made me feel better about using real eggs, that most all salmonella actually comes from the yolks and not the whites.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:45am
post #9 of 37

Actually from what I've read the salmonella comes from the eggshell, not the egg itself. Thats why they stress the outside of your eggs are clean. Also, I thought with SMBC, not IMBC, though that should be fine too, the egg whites do reach proper temperature as it is being cooked along with the sugar being turned into syrup. I thought it was interesting as what would make it perishable has a lot to do with the butter and American buttercream has a lot of butter as well. They both need to stay refridgerated if they are not going to be used right away. Hmmm...

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:06am
post #10 of 37

Welcome to the dark side, momma28.

Mensch Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:08am
post #11 of 37

A study by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in 2002 (Risk Analysis April 2002 22(2):203-1icon_cool.gif suggests the problem is not as prevalent as once thought. It showed that of the 69 billion eggs produced annually only 2.3 million are contaminated with salmonellaequivalent to just one in every 30,000 eggsthus showing that salmonella infection is quite rarely induced by eggs. However, this has not been the case in other countries where Salmonella enteritidis and Salmonella typhimurium infections due to egg consumptions are major concerns.[26][27][28] Egg shells act as hermetic seals which guard against bacteria entering, but this seal can be broken through improper handling or if laid by unhealthy chickens. Most forms of contamination enter through such weaknesses in the shell.

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:25am
post #12 of 37

i saw in modern baking new eggs that are not potentially hazardous... they can sit out for a week....

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:14am
post #13 of 37
Quote:

I don't know Julzs, can it be made that way?

I haven't made it that way, but I think others have.

Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:09pm
post #14 of 37
Quote:

Actually from what I've read the salmonella comes from the eggshell, not the egg itself. Thats why they stress the outside of your eggs are clean. Also, I thought with SMBC, not IMBC, though that should be fine too, the egg whites do reach proper temperature as it is being cooked along with the sugar being turned into syrup. I thought it was interesting as what would make it perishable has a lot to do with the butter and American buttercream has a lot of butter as well. They both need to stay refridgerated if they are not going to be used right away. Hmmm...

I went back and looked at my original paperwork (when I submitted my recipes for approval) and next to these buttercreme recipes the note says "recipe perishable/not shelf stable due to the low ratio of sugar to fat. "

So it's not the eggs it's the fat to sugar ratio.

That would explain why my reg buttercreme isn't perishable.....very high sugar to fat ratio, does not require refrigeration.

I can't sell anything that requires refrigeration icon_sad.gif

Do you guys have to submit your recipes for approval?

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:28pm
post #15 of 37

I almost always use SMBC and I do it with powdered egg whites (no refrigeration required). I reconstitute them according to the directions on the container and proceed with the recipe. The icing comes out just like SMBC made with real egg whites...can't tell the difference. icon_wink.gif

Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:42pm
post #16 of 37

elliespartycake......so your HD told you it doesn't require refrigeration?

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:07pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Quote:

LaBella I have read several places that the eggs don't actually reach high enough temperature to be considered safe. But I did read something recently that made me feel better about using real eggs, that most all salmonella actually comes from the yolks and not the whites.

the egg whites need to reach 140 to kill salmonella...i cook mine to 160

JustToEatCake Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:38pm
post #18 of 37
Quote:

Oh sorry, my mistake, I was thinking IMBC.

This is from eggsafety.org
How does Salmonella infect eggs?
Salmonella bacteria are found in the intestinal tracts of animals, birds, reptiles, insects and humans. Salmonella may be found on the outside of the egg shell before the egg is washed or it may be found inside the egg if the hen was infected. It is estimated that one egg in 20,000 eggs may contain Salmonella which is a 0.005% contamination rate. Eggs contain natural antimicrobial substances in the egg white, and all eggs are washed and sanitized before they are packed. Egg recipes properly prepared in individual servings and promptly eaten are rarely a problem. Inadequate refrigeration, improper handling and insufficient cooking are all factors that have contributed to disease outbreaks. Salmonella is destroyed by heat. Eggs that have been handled and cooked properly should not cause human illness.

JustToEatCake Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliespartycake

I almost always use SMBC and I do it with powdered egg whites (no refrigeration required). I reconstitute them according to the directions on the container and proceed with the recipe. The icing comes out just like SMBC made with real egg whites...can't tell the difference. icon_wink.gif

I have yet to find powdered egg whites.

Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:36pm
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliespartycake

I have yet to find powdered egg whites.

I've not seen them either.....is meringue powder considered powdered egg whites?

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #21 of 37

RE: Salmonella

This week while watching Rachel Ray, they said that any salmonella would only be on the outside of the egg shell. To prevent contamination, wash eggs prior to use with 1 qt water and one teaspoon bleach. This will kill any salmonella on the eggshell.

Just something I thought I would pass on. Occasionally some good tips pop up here and there. icon_smile.gif

momma28 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:51pm
post #22 of 37

WOW the notifications for forums must not have been working because I didnt get any emails about responses.

Ok so now I am going to have to call virginia dept agriculture On tuesday and see what they say. I know that there are bakeries in northern va that offer smbc so I cant see that it would be a statewide issue of not allowing smbc. I cooked the egg whites and sugar while whisking until my candy thermometer read 162 (turned away for a moment and went just beyond 160). I refrigerate every cake I make (even fondant which I know is a big debate on here but I have never had an issue as long as I dont touch it while it is sweating) so I cant imagine that being an issue.

In addition I own colette peters cakes to dream on and in the notes of her cooked meringue buttercream recipe it says that it can be stored at room temp for up to a day and in the fridge for up to a week. Her recipe doesnt even give a temp. just says until hot to the touch (i much prefer knowing it goes to 160 or above)

I can get powdered egg whites from the local kroger so I will have to try that.

I will let you know what the department of agriculture says when I call and fax in the recipe for approval Tuesday.

Mensch Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #23 of 37
Quote:

.....is meringue powder considered powdered egg whites?

nope, meringue powder is not the same thing as egg whites.

Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:53pm
post #24 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma28

Ok so now I am going to have to call virginia dept agriculture On tuesday and see what they say. I know that there are bakeries in northern va that offer smbc so I cant see that it would be a statewide issue of not allowing smbc.

I will let you know what the department of agriculture says when I call and fax in the recipe for approval Tuesday.

In MA storefront bakeries can sell perishable items it's only home bakers that can't. Unfortunately the rules are different for us little guys.

Can home bakers in VA sell perishable items?

Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:54pm
post #25 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Quote:

.....is meringue powder considered powdered egg whites?

nope, meringue powder is not the same thing as egg whites.

Thanks Mensch I figured as much. Anyway it's not the eggs that are the problem to my HD it's the amount of butter. icon_rolleyes.gif

momma28 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:36pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:

Quote:

Ok so now I am going to have to call virginia dept agriculture On tuesday and see what they say. I know that there are bakeries in northern va that offer smbc so I cant see that it would be a statewide issue of not allowing smbc.

In MA storefront bakeries can sell perishable items it's only home bakers that can't. Unfortunately the rules are different for us little guys.

Can home bakers in VA sell perishable items?

I have an entirely seperate fridge for business purposes as is noted on my inspection report..maybe that will make a difference or maybe this is all mute and maybe va allows smbc. I dont really understand..they approved all my cream puff and pastry recipes that require refrigeration so I am hopeful they will allow smbc

Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #27 of 37

It sounds like VA home bakers CAN sell perishable goods then if they approved all of your cream puff and pastry recipes.

I have a separate refrigerator too (my business kitchen is in my basement entirely separate from my family kitchen) but even if I used my family kitchen in MA we are required to have at least a separate shelf in our refrigerator for the business ingredients i.e. butter, eggs, milk etc.

Their big thing is we can't sell any baked good that requires refrigeration i.e. cheesecakes, cream puffs, whipped cream cakes, all pies and the dreaded SMBC/IMBC covered items.

I know I shouldn't complain because seeing that only 12 states (I think) allow home baking legally I feel very fortunate to even be allowed to do this to the extent that I do.

Good luck, I'll be interested to hear what they say about the recipe you're submitting.

momma28 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #28 of 37
Quote:

It sounds like VA home bakers CAN sell perishable goods then if they approved all of your cream puff and pastry recipes.

I have a separate refrigerator too (my business kitchen is in my basement entirely separate from my family kitchen) but even if I used my family kitchen in MA we are required to have at least a separate shelf in our refrigerator for the business ingredients i.e. butter, eggs, milk etc.

Their big thing is we can't sell any baked good that requires refrigeration i.e. cheesecakes, cream puffs, whipped cream cakes, all pies and the dreaded SMBC/IMBC covered items.

I know I shouldn't complain because seeing that only 12 states (I think) allow home baking legally I feel very fortunate to even be allowed to do this to the extent that I do.

Good luck, I'll be interested to hear what they say about the recipe you're submitting.

Ok then I am guessing this is really not an issue because my cheesecake recipe was approved as well.

by the way Deb...as a Yankees fan I wont hold it against you that your location is Red Sox Nation LOL icon_wink.gif

Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:50am
post #29 of 37
Quote:

by the way Deb...as a Yankees fan I wont hold it against you that your location is Red Sox Nation LOL icon_wink.gif

LOL It's the greatest rivalry in sports, we should both be proud to be a part of it! icon_wink.gif

One of my nieces just married a Yankee's fan....I told him I wouldn't hold it against him...hehehehe icon_lol.gif The poor kid looked so serious and nervous when I brought it up, I felt bad for him. icon_biggrin.gif

momma28 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:00am
post #30 of 37
Quote:

Quote:

LOL It's the greatest rivalry in sports, we should both be proud to be a part of it! icon_wink.gif

One of my nieces just married a Yankee's fan....I told him I wouldn't hold it against him...hehehehe icon_lol.gif The poor kid looked so serious and nervous when I brought it up, I felt bad for him. icon_biggrin.gif

My husband works with a couple of Red sox fans...its fun during baseball season, they bust on each other all the time icon_smile.gif We never take it too seriously.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%