Looking For An "all Natural" Shortening

Decorating By Bonniecakes08 Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 7:50pm by TexasSugar

Bonniecakes08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonniecakes08 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 11:30am
post #1 of 8

Looking for a shortening without trans fats that works well for buttercream, any suggestions?

7 replies
Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 8

That would be Crisco, they took the Trans Fats out, it's all vegetable shortening.

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 8

I was under the impression that no shortening that lacked transfat was considered "good" for buttercream as it didn't seem to want to behave, like not wanting to stick to the cake.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 8

I have a friend allergic to soy so she got me a small tub of palm oil natural shortening at Whole Foods....I tried it in cookies but not icing so far...worked great in the cookies. It seems to be a very firm shortening so I would think it would be okay for buttercream....

Rusti Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 8

I've used Crisco and high ratio and have had no problem with either, no taste difference with people I ask so I just use Crisco now and I've never had a problem with it not sticking to the cake unless the consistincy was wrong.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusti

I've used Crisco and high ratio and have had no problem with either, no taste difference with people I ask...

Hi-ratio and Crisco both have a (neutral) bland flavor. So there's no difference in taste when using one or the other in your b/c recipes. icon_smile.gif

The differences in hi-ratio and Crisco are in performance.

Hi-ratio can absorb more liquid without breaking down, most feel the b/c is smoother, and there's no filmy or greasy mouth feel.

HTH

Rusti Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 8

I use high ratio and Crisco and am always trying new recipes but the op was asking for a recipe without trans fats. Crisco is the only one I know. Any others?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 8

I use the crisco with out trans fat and don't have a problem with my icing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%