Fondant Accents ..how Long In Advance?

Decorating By LuvLyrics Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 1:07am by Deb_

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:33am
post #1 of 12

I am hosting my best friend shower next saturday, meaning, I will be cooking, baking and decorating...

Now I want to get a head start on her cake by making the accents for the cake, I will be making some bows and circles... How long ahead of time can I make them? Should I use 50/50 GP and fondant? If I use fondant, should I add Gumtex?

I would greatly appreciate any advice .... Thanks

Anna

11 replies
The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:38am
post #2 of 12

You can start making them now icon_smile.gif I made fondant animals for a 1st birthday cake a week in advance, one to save time, and two so that it had time to dry. A lot of people do the 50/50, I just did straight fondant. Gumpaste will help it dry harder faster. I have gumtex, but I have never used it. You can use polyfill to put in the bow loops for them to keep shape until they dry. You could even bake your cakes as early as Tomorrow, and freeze them. HTH

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:02am
post #3 of 12

I'd definitely be making them now.
1: to take that stress off you and so you can do it in a more relaxed mode and 2: So yes, they will dry completely for you.

LuvLyrics Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:04am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I'd definitely be making them now.
1: to take that stress off you and so you can do it in a more relaxed mode and 2: So yes, they will dry completely for you.

Thank you, another question...
Can I glue the accents the night before? I've never decorated a cake so long in advance...

cownsj Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 4:14am
post #5 of 12

Do you mean glue them to the cake? I frequently have cakes done the day before. Again, less stress.

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 5:57am
post #6 of 12

I finished a cake Thursday night (with lots of glued on fondant accents) for a Saturday afternoon pick up. No problem! And it hasn't stopped raining so it's very very humid. Still no problem!

LuvLyrics Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you ladies!

Do I add gumtex to the fondant?

cownsj Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 12

I have gumtex too, but I've never used it. If I feel my fondant is too soft I just add in some gumpaste. If my fondant seems firm and the house is cool, that's usually all I need. If you want to test it, just roll out a small piece and see how quickly it starts to firm up.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 12

I add Tylose powder to my fondant for modeling figures, but for just flat cut out shapes I use straight fondant so they'll stay soft. Just in case someone bites into one.

LuvLyrics Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I have gumtex too, but I've never used it. If I feel my fondant is too soft I just add in some gumpaste. If my fondant seems firm and the house is cool, that's usually all I need. If you want to test it, just roll out a small piece and see how quickly it starts to firm up.

I went to my first fondant and gumpaste class the other night and the instructor used gumtex, I noticed it change the color on the fondant... In my opinion !!

Thank you for sharing your tip ! I will try it.

LuvLyrics Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:58am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

I add Tylose powder to my fondant for modeling figures, but for just flat cut out shapes I use straight fondant so they'll stay soft. Just in case someone bites into one.

Good point....but can I sitll cut them out and save them? soft ?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:07am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

Good point....but can I sitll cut them out and save them? soft ?

Sure just store them in an airtight container like Tupperware or something and they'll stay soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%