Would Love Honest Opinion On What You Would Do For This..?

Decorating By gina0475 Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 4:24pm by chem_mc

gina0475 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina0475 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:14am
post #1 of 28

cake.

So my mother in law works at a church and they are having a chocolate theme event at the church, and she would like me to do a show piece to try to build a bit of a customer base in her area.
I have been making cakes for a few years now and I am confident... ahht hum... until the week of, that is. and then I loose my nerve and screw up. SO, I come here. Anyway what you see here is a cake she and I found and it was so pretty and looks like chocolate decadence so we decided on something very similar.
I would like to pick your creative brains. Now I have my own ideas for this cake. Such as, every layer will be chocolate cake. The filling and coating is all that will change. Some layers will have chocolate mousse, others white chocolate mousse, and one or two with a peanut butter mousse. I think I have all this down.

I intend to cover the dark chocolate layers with chocolate ganache

I would like to cover the white layers with white chocolate ganache but here is where I fall short. I have never made white chocolate ganache and every time I try, it comes out BAD so what would you do for the white layers? and how would you do the swirls?
AND how do you suggest I dont make it come out looking really bad? (hehehe I know that part is on me)
LL

27 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:30am
post #2 of 28

I haven't used it myself, but I've heard that there's a good recipe for homemade white choc fondant and that it tastes pretty good. Perhaps someone with the recipe can post it here for you.

That's an amazing cake BTW.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:30am
post #3 of 28

You could do white chocolate buttercream (just use white chocolate squares instead of unsweetened ones) I think the scrolls are either thinnly rolled fondant or chocolate curls....For sure the bottom tier is chocolate curls. Sorry, Not much help, but its a beautiful cake. I like the contrast between the WHITE and BROWN.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:30am
post #4 of 28

You're post had me laughing, you're too funny!

OK white chocolate ganache....the ratio is different then regular ganache. 3 to 1 choc to cream ratio usually works for me. (use real white choc not candy melts)

For the swirls, I'd roll out the fondant, cut into thin strips and just roll them into the different swirl designs. Attach them to the cake with a bit of "glue" made out of Tylose powder diluted in water.

That's a gorgeous cake, good luck!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarandslice

I haven't used it myself, but I've heard that there's a good recipe for homemade white choc fondant and that it tastes pretty good. Perhaps someone with the recipe can post it here for you.

That's an amazing cake BTW.

I use Michele Foster's White Chocolate Fondant receipe and it is wonderful. You can find it in the receipes here on cc.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:43am
post #6 of 28

when I read your subject "what would you do this for... the first thing i thought was... A KLONDIKE BAR !! icon_lol.gif

What would you do for a..... icon_lol.gif

I havent tried the white chocolate fondant, please let me know how it turns out. icon_smile.gif

sweetartbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetartbakery Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 28

I make all my fondant with white chocolate. I don't measure, just dump some in with marshmallow... maybe a cup to a bag of marshmallows.. make it the same besides.
I kids think it's the best thing ever, but no fondant is good to me. it's a texture thing in my book.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 28

Gorgeous cake! I have seen some scroll stencils on the internet. You might check something like that out.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 11:35pm
post #9 of 28

I'm not a big time caker - so take my advice with a grain of salt. But maybe have a back up for the white choc fondant. Everyone seems to love that Satin Ice on here. I've never tried it but if your REALLY nervous about it, I'd opt for a back up plan just in case.

Also - when I actually do a cake, I try to make sure I think of each cake individually. That way, I don't freak myself out by the thought of such a large project.

OH!!!! Time management!!!! Good Luck!!!

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 7:08am
post #10 of 28

Good Luck, you sure have your cake plate full, I'm sure you'll do great.

verisimilitude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verisimilitude Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 9:28am
post #11 of 28

I just made white chocolate ganache on the weekend, and let me tell you - 2 parts white chocolate to 1 part cream is not enough to withstand the heat of the Australian summer. It set (though not as solid as I'd have liked) in the fridge, then melted in the 15mins it took to drive it to my ister's boyfriend's place. Disaster! Next time I'll definitely go 3 parts white choc to 1 of cream.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:07am
post #12 of 28

That is a stunning cake.....

I would go for cream coloured buttercream for the "white" layers so that the
chocolate curls and scrolls with "stick".

Good luck with your venture and let us see photos of the cake that you make.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 2:20pm
post #13 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by verisimilitude

I just made white chocolate ganache on the weekend, and let me tell you - 2 parts white chocolate to 1 part cream is not enough to withstand the heat of the Australian summer. It set (though not as solid as I'd have liked) in the fridge, then melted in the 15mins it took to drive it to my ister's boyfriend's place. Disaster! Next time I'll definitely go 3 parts white choc to 1 of cream.

Oh no I'm sorry this happened to you!

I always use 3 to 1 for white chocolate, but I can honestly tell you that even with the 3 to 1 ratio, it's so sensitive to heat. It's definitely not something that can stay out for very long.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 5:44pm
post #14 of 28

I make a really easy white chocolate bc/ cream cheese frosting that might work for you
1/3 melted white chocolate
1/3 butter
1/3 cream cheese
Melt chocolate, let cool to room temp and then mix it with butter and cream cheese - voila! Tasty and easy to make.

gina0475 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:31am
post #15 of 28

wow thank you all so much for your thoughts and the 3:1 ratio really helps but now I am torn... do I do a fondant or do I do a white poured ganache?
hmmmm
well either way to the person in Australia, so sorry to hear that I would have defiantly cursing into my trunk when I got back there to see a puddle of white chocolate! good to know!!
and to the person who said take it one cake at a time rather than one large cake... You know it! that is definitely the way to go - especially since I plan to stack at the church since I will probably have time to do so.

I think the picture does look fondant-y and that would make the swirls easier and matching in color And if I want to stop at the white top tier and then stencil it rather than glitter it it being a form of fondant would really help.

Thanks so much to all of you!!

gina0475 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:07pm
post #16 of 28

Okay I have decided not to do ganache for the white, so now I am thinking either making the fondant white chocolate flavored or white chocolate butter cream as egensinnig shared.
I am starting this cake as of monday and can you believe I am still going back and forth on this.... getting frustrated already
thanks for your thoughts in advance
gina

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm
post #17 of 28

Personally I would do the white choc buttercream made with reg vanilla to give it the cream look. And for the choc I would my pourable chocolate, so that it has that shine. I use 4oz choc to 1/4c butter. Very yummy. I do a thin layer of choc buttercream then pour the choc over. The choc will set up but is not super hard that it cracks when the cake is cut.
hth

gina0475 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:09pm
post #18 of 28

thanks and yes I believe that while sitting here looking at the cc articles I am going to do butter cream but I am going to flavor it with some white chocolate since the event is based around chocolate.

gina0475 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 5:17pm
post #19 of 28

thanks and yes I believe that while sitting here looking at the cc articles I am going to do butter cream but I am going to flavor it with some white chocolate since the event is based around chocolate.

gina0475 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:19am
post #20 of 28

here it is thanks for the help and advice
LL

jdelaney81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdelaney81 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:43am
post #21 of 28

Great job! It's beautiful!

Lynnzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynnzee Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:56am
post #22 of 28

Great Job!!!!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:59am
post #23 of 28

ummm, yeah, that outta build a customer base... WOW! What a fabulous cake! It does reflect the thought you put into creating it. Must have impressed all who saw it. thumbs_up.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:11am
post #24 of 28

Gorgeous!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #25 of 28

You did a fantastic job. Hats off to you!! Impressive.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:11am
post #26 of 28

oh how stunning! You did a fabulous job!

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:50am
post #27 of 28

Oh, yes!!.....thats a match!!
You did a stunning job and it looks great!

chem_mc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chem_mc Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:24pm
post #28 of 28

I saved this as a favorite before I saw your posts here! It's gorgeous and you did a GREAT job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%