Cake Balls/backbone....it's Not What You Think!!!!

Decorating By jonahsmom Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 5:54am by JustToEatCake

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 6

So, every time I need to get up the cajoneys to tell someone no I completely fail. I'm a sucker for people because I want to make EVERYONE happy. Just. Not. Possible.

Anyhoo...I had my first consult (via email) think my prices were "craaazzzzzy." Actually, it was a forwarded email from her friend, complete with the eff word - which I'm not offended by but surprised to see in an email. Normally I would've just taken it. But I'm tired of people thinking that just because I don't have a storefront I'm gonna be super cheap. Hubby told me I needed to tell her that I forgot that I'm busy that day! He offered to write the email, but he wouldn't have been so kind. Instead, this is what I told her...

"I take a lot of pride in what I do and always want to put out the best cakes/cupcakes possible. That means that I make all of my frosting, fillings, fondant, flowers, etc. This does sometimes mean that my prices are higher, but I feel that the quality is very much worth it. I understand that sometimes this means people either wont want to or wont be able to buy from me. I completely understand if thats the case and cant let it affect the quality of my products. Just let me know what you decide. Either way, I appreciate you thinking of me and hope that if this doesnt work out, Ill get to create something special for you sometime!!!"

My cake balls get bigger every day. This was someone that I used to work with, so it was REALLY REALLY hard. Pretty soon I'll work my way to a flat "no way in he**!!!" That'll be a day to celebrate!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
FullMoonRanch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullMoonRanch Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 6

Professional and well written! Great job sticking up for yourself.
Hope you are doing well

Kathy thumbs_up.gif

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 6

I think you did very well standing up for yourself like that, polite and to the point. Keep working your way to no and keep posting it so that we can cheer you on icon_lol.gif Good luck

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:54am
post #4 of 6

Good for you. You took care of it in a professional manner.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:46am
post #5 of 6

Hey thanks!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I kind of hope she does contact me again so I can tell her I'm booked. I took another order for pretty much the same thing I had quoted her and the gal didn't even bat an eye. I gave her the less expensive option and the most expensive option and she said, go big or go home! Now THAT is someone who knows her cake!!! icon_smile.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:54am
post #6 of 6

I agree that was a very professional letter. I know it must be hard but try not to take things like that personally. The public, esp when it comes to food, can be absurdly challenging!

You didn't want her business anyway!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%