Playing With The Taste Of Ri

Baking By windycitybaker Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 4:56am by windycitybaker

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:20am
post #1 of 9

In an attempt to make my RI taste better, I just used pasteurized egg whites for the first time in my RI and loved the way it came out. Still wondering if there's a way to cover up what I consider the "raw" powdered sugar flavor. I used a good-quality vanilla, and that doesn't seem to be enough. Any ideas?

8 replies
windycitybaker Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 9

I put in a little lemon flavoring, and that seemed to make a huge difference in the taste. Anybody else put a flavor in that masked the raw sugar taste?

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 9

I use lots of different flavorings in my RI... Spices Etc. has a great selection of natural flavorings. Some of my favorites are the chocolate, clear vanilla, amaretto, raspberry, cherry, maple, and caramel - yum!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 9

A really good flavoring is Cotton Candy by Lorann oils...tastes yummy.

windycitybaker Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 9

I did get some from Spices Etc a couple months ago...guess I'm on the right track! Thanks for the ideas, ladies!

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:40am
post #6 of 9

I love using Almond extract.and OP are use sifting your powdered sugar. When I first started doing cookies I made the mistake of not sifting.

windycitybaker Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 9

No, I haven't been sifting. Does sifting change the flavor? Never would have thought of that...

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitybaker

No, I haven't been sifting. Does sifting change the flavor? Never would have thought of that...

I think it does and it gives a nice consistency. Also if you use meringue powder, whip it first with hot water.

windycitybaker Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 4:56am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for that idea...I'll try sifting the sugar next time. I've used meringue powder in the past but this week, I tried making RI with pasteurized egg whites.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%