My Mind Is Blank, Please Help!!!

Decorating By JGMB Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 7:38am by tesso

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 10

A friend just had surgery and is still not up to par. So, I offered to do her family birthday cakes next week -- husband turning 44, daughter turning 9.

Okay, so she says she just wants one combined cake, not too big because they wouldn't be able to eat it all. Daughter wants pink and black with peace signs; husband loves blue and is a big Penn State fan.

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

What am I to do with that? It's not like I can do 2 tiers, with one design on each. Can some of you creative geniuses give me an idea?

Oh, and I only work in buttercream, but I can do modeling chocolate accents. TIA!!!

9 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 10

That's a tough one! Could you decorate 1/2 for daughter and the other half for hubby? Now - what could you use as a divider? Hopefully someone has a better idea!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 10

Or do 2 small cakes!

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 10

My suggestion would be 2 - 6" cakes. If they're only for the family dinner then they could eat half of each cake and freeze the rest. Buttercream icing freezes beautifully. The girls cake you can ice pink and pipe peace signs on it. The dad's you can ice blue and then pipe something to do with Penn State on it.

HTH

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 10

pink black and blue stripes or retro dots.
if you want to bring in the peace signs and penn state (mascot? whatever links in) then i dont think theres a good way to combine them, but then, im really not a fan of combined birthday cakes that need to have entirely different themes! maybe a square cake, alternate sides for each theme?
so if you dont want to do a more generic colour based design, i would either lean towards two smaller cakes, or cupcakes?
xx

JGMB Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks, everyone! You're absolutely right -- I need to make 2 separate ones. If that's too much cake, so be it. Too much cake? Is there really such a thing? Not in my world!! icon_wink.gif

JGMB Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:30am
post #7 of 10

Okay, I went with everyone's suggestion and did 2 cakes. I didn't clear it with my friend first, so I hope she's not mad when she picks them up tomorrow.

I'm pretty happy with the Penn State one -- my first time doing Colorflow.

The pink/black one, not so much!!! Oh, well, the little girl's only 9 and I'm sure she'll like it anyway. She'll probably just be glad to have her own cake instead of sharing one with her dad.
LL
LL

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:56am
post #8 of 10

Both of these look great!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:03am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

Both of these look great!

I think so, too. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:38am
post #10 of 10

i think they both look great too. i really like the penn state art. you did a great job on them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%