Trying To Make My Chocolate Frosting Darker!!!!!

Baking By LISSI15 Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm by brincess_b

LISSI15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LISSI15 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 11

I've prepared a Chocolate Butter Frosting following this Recipie,
- 6 oz. Butter
- 5 oz. Cocoa
- 3 oz. Milk
- 4 cups confectioners sugar (aprox.)
- 3 tsp. Vanilla

I've mixed butter with cocoa and added milk and vanilla slowly, at the end I've incorporated sugar.

....BUT.... I don't know WHY does the color of my frosting has become lighter and doesn't keep it's original dark chocolate color which I want... does I have to apply any other ingredient as hot water to make a reaction in the color???? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
icon_cry.gif

10 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 11

Dark chocolate frosting is usually made with melted dark chocolate. Try adding brown color to it. Also try the dark cocoa powder next time. They have black cocoa that is super rich.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 11

Hersheys makes a special dark chocolate cocoa that makes a really dark chocolate buttercream.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 11

I almost always add brown color to mine.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 11

I use Hershrey's Dark cocoa and add Americolor choc brown.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 11

One way to make it darker is to melt the cocoa first. You have to be careful not to burn the chocolate. Melt the butter in a pan, just until warm, then stir in the chocolate. Depending on the amounts, you should have a very soft ball of chocolate that comes away from the sides of the pan and is slightly warm. Put it in your mixing bowl and add some powdered sugar first to make the mixture softer, yes it will become softer. Then slowly incorporate your other ingredients

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:37am
post #7 of 11

I use real Dutch chocolate I get at a Dutch Deli. It is much browner than American/Canadian chocolate.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:59am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Hersheys makes a special dark chocolate cocoa that makes a really dark chocolate buttercream.

Yes, this is fabulous. even the recipe right off the container makes a dark dark buttercream and its so yummy. Check your grocery store, its fairly new (at least here).

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 11

I've tried the Special Dark Cocoa powder. I love dark chocolate and Special Dark candy bars but I found that this cocoa powder gives your icing a grayish chocolate color. Honestly is was almost gross looking. It also gives it a really, really strong taste...not what we were used to on our chocolate cakes. I finally finished the can by mixing a small amount of it with regular cocoa but I wouldn't buy it again. Just not my thing.

LISSI15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LISSI15 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 11

Hey girls! Thanks for your replies. Sorry for answering a bit later.
According to the Frosty I noticed that the much confectionery sugar I add, the more lighter it becomes.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #11 of 11

the ps is white, so yes, it will lighten the mix.
taste it. does it taste like chocolate? yes? then add more brown food dye.
no? then add more chocolate/ cocoa, and see how it looks.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%