Champagne Filling?!

Baking By MikeRowesHunny Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 6:31pm by smbegg

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 11

I've heard of champagne cakes, but never champagne fillings! The only thing I can think of is using a champagne flavouring in a buttercream (SMBC probably for lightness). Has anyone else heard of/made a champagne filling?

10 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 11

i hope someone knows the answer to this, it sounds interesting and tasty.

THe only thing I have ever done is replace my liquids with alcohol. Have you ever used Grand marnier in a cake? It is fabulous.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

i hope someone knows the answer to this, it sounds interesting and tasty.

THe only thing I have ever done is replace my liquids with alcohol. Have you ever used Grand marnier in a cake? It is fabulous.

I've used Grand Marnier as a drizzle over orange & chocolate cakes, in buttercream & in ganache - you are right, lovely! It has a much stronger taste/flavour than champagne though.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 11

No, I've never made it or heard of it but I don't get out much either. Playing off tesso's replacing of liquid for alcohol, would one be able to make IMBC with champagne instead of water when making the syrup?

I made a Cheerwine cake with Cheerwine buttercream by boiling down a 2 liter bottle of soda to condense the flavor then, added the condensed liquid/syrup as part of the liquid called for in my yellow cake. I wouldn't hesitate to try to make IMBC with champagne as the liquid instead of water ooooooooor making SMBC and using concentrated champagne as the flavoring...which, I reckon would be the same as champagne flavoring.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 11

I made a Cheerwine cake with Cheerwine buttercream by boiling down a 2 liter bottle of soda to condense the flavor then, added the condensed liquid/syrup as part of the liquid called for in my yellow cake. I wouldn't hesitate to try to make IMBC with champagne as the liquid instead of water ooooooooor making SMBC and using concentrated champagne as the flavoring...which, I reckon would be the same as champagne flavoring.[/quote]

YUM! I love Cheerwine and that sounds delicious to me!!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 11

I'd never tasted it until I got that request. I loooooooooooove all the fizz!

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 11

why don't you suggest champagne cake and icing and a orange curd so that it is more like a mimosa

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 11

when I make champagne cake, it is done like the bakeries in my area.. vanilla chiffon cake.. take some pastry cream, add some sherry (yes sherry) and then add some whipped cream to it, so u are lightening up the custard.. its delish..

MikeRowesHunny Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 11

I can't do anything that needs to be refrigerated - don't have the room. Only room temp stable fillings.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 11

If you use sleeve fillings u can use the bavarian one. And add the liquor

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 11

I made champagne cake with champagne BC. I just replaced the liquid for flat champagne. It was good.

stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%