Cricut Poll: What To Do

Decorating By devorie Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 3:28am by BACI

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:49am
post #1 of 33

I bought the Cricut Personal a couple of weeks ago at Big Lots. Two days later I read about the Circut Cake on CC so I promptly returned it. Here is my dilemma: I would love to have the machine asap. On another hand, I will be making my son a birthday party (in October) and the invitations possibilities are endless with the Cricut. I would buy separate everything if I were to use it for both - have one set of mats, blades, etc for crafts and another set (the food safe ones once they come out) for food. Also, if I pre-order the cake I can get it for 295; the expression can be found for 200. So here's the question: Do I wait to get the Cricut Cake or do I jet get the Expression now?

32 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 33

This is a tough question/poll; especially for those of us who don't have a cricut yet. For the above prices if I could afford it I'd probably do both; I'd love to have both. I'm leaning towards the expression so that I have the option.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 33

Why did you return the personal one? Are you thinking it's too small for cake stuff? I'm wondering, because, I was planning on buying the Cricut Create this weekend just for cakes.

laventure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laventure Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 33

Technically, to use the regular Cricut machines for both cakes and scrapping, you have to have a separate mat to use with gumpaste that has the adhesive removed. More importantly, the regular Cricuts have two rollers that will leave marks in your gumpaste, leaving you about a three-inch wide section between them which limits the size of your decorations. The folks who have been using the regular Cricuts for cake decorating up until now have cut the rollers off...this may interfere or cause the machine not to work properly with paper. Finally, there is also the possible issue of food safety and mixed use of the machine.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:38pm
post #5 of 33

I didn't cut my rollers off, I just moved them to the sides and paper still goes through just fine. The only thing that touches the fondant/gunpaste is the blade and mat so using different mats and blades for each should be ok. I will probably cut very little paper but want the option to do both. I will not be buying two machines.

learnincakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learnincakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 33

I am curious about the one at Big Lots too. Why did you return it? Same size cutting surface as the expression. The only thing that would not work for me is if you could not connect to your computer, is that the case?

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 33

I am getting more and more interested in the cricut everyday. I would only use mine for caking. Tiggy - which model do you have and would you be happy with the one being offered at BigLots this weekend for $99? It would be years before I could recoup my money if I bought the new cake cricut coming out . . . . . especially when I figure in the accessories.

Suze

learnincakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 33

Cricut Create(TM)
$99
2 DAY DEAL!
The Cricut Create(TM) personal electronic cutter combines the portability of the original Cricut Machine with the functionality of the Cricut Expression(TM)! step up includes DonJuan cartridge over $50 value, 6" x 12" cutting mat, power adapter & instructional DVD, no computer needed

This is the actual add at Big Lots. If it attaches to your computer so that you can use the SCAL software, I cannot imagine why it would not be as good as the Expression.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnincakes

Cricut Create(TM)
$99
2 DAY DEAL!
The Cricut Create(TM) personal electronic cutter combines the portability of the original Cricut Machine with the functionality of the Cricut Expression(TM)! step up includes DonJuan cartridge over $50 value, 6" x 12" cutting mat, power adapter & instructional DVD, no computer needed

This is the actual add at Big Lots. If it attaches to your computer so that you can use the SCAL software, I cannot imagine why it would not be as good as the Expression.

But, the cutting area is smaller than the Expressions, right?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 33

And you do NOT have to remove the sticky from the mats. Just place a piece of waxed paper on the mat, add a thin film of veg shortening to the waxed paper, top with your fondant/gumpaste and you're good to go.

tiggy2 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:34pm
post #11 of 33

You can only use the 6 x 12 mat on the cricut create, nothing bigger. I have the expression and would not be happy with the smaller one as I want to larger things with it.

learnincakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 33

The cutting area is the same 6x12. The Expression is 6x12.

learnincakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:44pm
post #13 of 33

I am so sorry icon_eek.gif, I have the personal cutter. I just took the box out I thought it was the expression. Anyway it serves my purpose for making cakes. I love it, 6 inches wide is wide enough for me. It was given to me as a gift. My daughter got it at a Black Friday deal. My tiers are only 5 inches high so I really don't need more. I am glad I did not make a huge investment in it. The more I investigate the cutters, I have decided the Cricut is probably not what I would have bought. I can get another cutter that has all the blades, software and tools included and will cut 12 inches wide for a little over $200. With cricut I feel like you get nickeled and dimed of the accesories. Plus the other cutter will cut Edible Images from your computer. The software is designed to work with both the cutter and your printer.

tiggy2 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:45pm
post #14 of 33

Expression can go up 12 x 24. Expression can not use the 6 x 12 mat.

learnincakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 33

Sorry tiggy, you are right. My aging brain is failing me!

tiggy2 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:50pm
post #16 of 33

Found this on the internet "The Cricut Expression, you can cut 12x24 - although, I've never really used it for much of anything beyond 12x12. There are also features that are neat like the "flip", etc. on the Expression that's not availible on the original Cricut."

tiggy2 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:53pm
post #17 of 33

You can use Make The Cut or SCAL software and not mess with the cartridges. You only need one cartridge to make it work with the software and cut from your computer. You can use any fonsts installed on your computer and can download tons of images.

learnincakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:20pm
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You can use Make The Cut or SCAL software and not mess with the cartridges. You only need one cartridge to make it work with the software and cut from your computer. You can use any fonsts installed on your computer and can download tons of images.

I have make the cut software. You can do lots of stuff with it. I also downloaded inkscape for editing clips. They work well together.
Tiggy, what is the flip function?

tiggy2 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:37pm
post #19 of 33

I haven't used it but I'm assuming it's a mirror image (reversed imaged).

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:08pm
post #20 of 33

Yes, it's a mirror image function.

I have the Expression and LOVE it. I only use it for cakes, though it still works for paper, no problem. I don't see the point in paying for the cake cricut...though I do want that cartridge, and they aren't going to sell it separately, at least not at first.

To be honest, I'm a little peeved at Provo Craft right now. Linda McClure figured out how to use a Cricut for cakes and we were all doing just fine with it. Then PC realized that there's another use for their machine, and instead of taking that opportunity to present a BETTER option for us, they basically repackage the Expression (which we're already using) with a few minor (and irrelevant) modifications and sell it as this new awesome invention! Hardly. Make it emboss fondant & have food safe markers...then maybe it would peak my interest.

nhbakingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbakingmom Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #21 of 33

I too am wondering what to do. I actually own a Quickutz Silhouette machine - but haven't decided if I should try gum paste in it or just keep it for scrapbooking and maybe buy an expression or the cricut cake. I just got Linda's DVD's - and now I really want to play with one!
Still haven't figured this one out - although I'm leaning a little bit towards the regular Expression, so I could swap out blades/mats and use it for scrapbooking. Ugh - I don't know - I wish I didn't know about the new one coming out, because I'd just get the expression.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhbakingmom

I wish I didn't know about the new one coming out, because I'd just get the expression.

Then you have your answer right there! icon_wink.gif

learnincakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:04pm
post #23 of 33

I agree with greengyrl, improve what you have. Embossing would be awesome! Being able to cut out Edible images would be great too.

learnincakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:05pm
post #24 of 33

By the way where do you get most of your clip art? Like scrolls and things.

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:29pm
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by learnincakes

I am so sorry icon_eek.gif, I have the personal cutter. I just took the box out I thought it was the expression. Anyway it serves my purpose for making cakes. I love it, 6 inches wide is wide enough for me. It was given to me as a gift. My daughter got it at a Black Friday deal. My tiers are only 5 inches high so I really don't need more. I am glad I did not make a huge investment in it. The more I investigate the cutters, I have decided the Cricut is probably not what I would have bought. I can get another cutter that has all the blades, software and tools included and will cut 12 inches wide for a little over $200. With cricut I feel like you get nickeled and dimed of the accesories. Plus the other cutter will cut Edible Images from your computer. The software is designed to work with both the cutter and your printer.

Can you tell me which one is that one? Thanks

Patty*

learnincakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:56pm
post #26 of 33
cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:32pm
post #27 of 33

thanks for the quick reply! I'll be checking it out!

nhbakingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbakingmom Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:41pm
post #28 of 33

That is the same one I have, except it's under the brand name Quickutz Silhouette - but it is a Craft Robo (that is the software on the computer). It is a cool machine and I need to play w/ it more, however I do like the licensed characters that you can get w/ the Cricut (Sesame Street, Mickey, etc.) That is why I am leaning towards getting the Cricut as well.
http://www.quickutz.com/qk2/silhouette/

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:45pm
post #29 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardbutt

Why did you return the personal one? Are you thinking it's too small for cake stuff? I'm wondering, because, I was planning on buying the Cricut Create this weekend just for cakes.

I returned it because I realized that with the expression I can just use photoshop/inkscape/scal and have an unlimited pool of images to use without paying an arm and a leg for cartridges.

learnincakes Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:59am
post #30 of 33

I use those programs with my little Cricut too. I think the only difference is the size of the cutting area. I think they function the same. Let me know if I am wrong. You can flip an image with the MTC software so that isn't a big deal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%