Huh...? You Want It When..! Cake Muggles

Decorating By tw1nkle Updated 14 Feb 2010 , 6:02am by zdebssweetsj

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 28

I know I'm not alone with this, but I feel like some days I get all the nut bars.

Lady calls yesterday to ask for a Pikachu cake for her daughters birthday, Me Yep, I can certainly do that - when did you need if for? Her - Tomorrow lunchtime. Me - looonnnng pause, sorry did you need it tomorrow? Her - Yes, her birthday is tomorrow. Me - I'm sorry but I can't accommodate that. Her - Oh, what am I going to do, you are like the 4th baker I've called who can't do it. Me - Um, you could try the supermarket or the bakery in town Her - Oh I tried them and they want to charge $75! Me - Sorry, I can't help

First off, no wonder she had been turned down by 4 bakers! How many people leave it till 24hrs before the party to organise the cake DOH!

Secondly, cake here in New Zealand doesn't come cheap. Food here is VERY expensive and I would have charged her minimum $75 for a wilton type shaped Pikachu cake. $75 I thought was relatively cheap considering she is only giving anyone 24hrs notice!

Some people are crazy. I did give her the name of another decorator that I know of close by. The woman called me back about an hour later saying that she couldn't get the other decorators number through directory service and could I get the number. I don't know it , so I went to give her the email address I have, and she tells me she doesn't have a computer, and shes running out of time, and what is she going to do blah blah blah.... icon_confused.gificon_eek.gif I was like sorry....I still can't help.

Cake muggles icon_rolleyes.gif

27 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:13am
post #2 of 28

Some people are like this. A lack of planning on their part means everyone should jump through hoops to help them when it comes to crunch time. Then they tell you a little side story to try to make you feel like you have to do the cake. Sorry, not my problem. Good for you for saying no. I understand sometimes having to plan something last minute but it's not like a kids birthday just crept up on you out of no where.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #3 of 28

cracks me up. My story is the guy who called me at 11:00 a.m. and wanted a cake carved like his favorite sports car for his dinner party at 5:00 THAT AFTERNOON! icon_eek.gif

I actually laughed at him on the phone and said "Dude .... do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that? There is no way." he whined and moaned and I gave him the name of the MOST expensive bakery in town and said they MIGHT be able to do this for him, although I seriously doubted it. He said, in a very forlorn voice, "I already called them ... they said they needed more notice."

Duh!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:31am
post #4 of 28

When I worked at the grocery store bakery, we'd have people show up at noon wanting an elaborate tiered cake NOW. They actually expected us to stock those just like the generic sheet cakes in the refrigerator case!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:12am
post #5 of 28

I don't know about all of you but I have one of those ovens you see on Mickey Mouse where you put the pan of batter in the oven and 3 seconds later a cake comes out fully decorated. Man, makes my life easier. You should all really look into getting one, just call the ACME company. icon_lol.gif

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:31am
post #6 of 28

Makes me think of that Golden Corral commercial where the guy asks for a bunch of stuff and the waitress yells "SECURITY"...lol...

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:37am
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I don't know about all of you but I have one of those ovens you see on Mickey Mouse where you put the pan of batter in the oven and 3 seconds later a cake comes out fully decorated. Man, makes my life easier. You should all really look into getting one, just call the ACME company. icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I want one. LMAO

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 28

Does no one even think to bake for their children anymore? This is how they learn...no wonder everyone eats every meal at a restaurant. I know it would cut into someones profit, but JEEZE!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:37pm
post #9 of 28

Ironically, that's one reason I started doing cakes. I thought it was the ultimate of tacky for someone to BUY their kid's birthday cake instead of making it themselves. My attitude was "You can't even spend an hour making a cake for your own kid!"

My (now ex) SIL said, "Yeah, well wait until your kid wants spiderman and all of THOSE kind of cakes!" ok. Fine. My kid DID want those kind of cakes .... and mama made every one of them! icon_twisted.gif

ironically #2 is that, of course, I now LOVE those 'tacky moms' who buy their kids cakes! icon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Does no one even think to bake for their children anymore? This is how they learn...no wonder everyone eats every meal at a restaurant. I know it would cut into someones profit, but JEEZE!

I've made all but one birthday cake for my best friend's two kids. Why doesn't she bake them? Because it isn't her thing and she really likes my cakes. Does that make her a bad person?

Growing up my grandma made almost all of my birthday cakes, why? She enjoyed doing it, and it wasn't really my mother's thing either.

Not everyone is into baking.

And even though my mother didn't teach me how to bake a cake, she did teach me how to cook. So I don't think the two go hand in hand either.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:32pm
post #11 of 28

I love this thread!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I had a lady call me on yesterday wanting a cake shaped like Brittany from Alvin & The Chipmunks, (not lying down but actually carved), by noon on this Saturday. I was like, "ummmm, no!!"

I really wanted to say to her, "sooooo, you just figured out that your daughter's birthday was this Saturday??"

Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 28

Our mom made all of our cakes. The most important one is the 1st birthday cake. Mother's should be required to make that one themselves. It's very special! I like having my kids help out with their cake! Makes it movre special!

As for that lady, if it's late...you're gonna pay in more ways then one. Meaning the cake will be more expaensive because it's a very late order and in time. Cause she's crazy as h3ll thinking she's gonna get a cake for the next day by lunch! HA!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 28

this post really had me laughing. I had a woman call and ask if I could do a 4 tier wedding cake, in such and such style etc. when I confirmed that i could make a cake like that, she was like "oh thank you, I need it tomorrow at Lake ***." I couldnt help myself...I started laughing so hard I started snorting.

Who the hell has an outdoor wedding in January!!! when it is 10 degrees outside. with sleet/snow mix? Can you imagine what would happen to the fondant!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

okay, if they want to get married outside fine...but the reception??? maybe they all belonged to the polar bear club. needless to say, i did not do the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 28

I made a cake for a friend for her BF's 30th - 2 tier whimsical cake in teal and black - she dropped it when she got home. I got a desperate phone call - "do you have an extra cake i can have to use?" duh - no?!

Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:08pm
post #15 of 28

"I made a cake for a friend for her BF's 30th - 2 tier whimsical cake in teal and black - she dropped it when she got home. I got a desperate phone call - "do you have an extra cake i can have to use?" duh - no

She droppd it and then wanted to know if you had an extra tiered whimsical cake in the back?! THAT'S FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!!!!

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I actually laughed at him on the phone and said "Dude .... do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake like that? There is no way."
Duh!

I love that you called him "dude'.. LOL

and yeah, I don't think people mean to be an inconvenience, but they don't understand what goes into making a cake.. how much time it actually takes.

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:33pm
post #17 of 28

I do a lot of cakes for out of town customers as we are close to the beach, and get a lot of calls that go like this:

We will be in town celbrating ....... can we have a custom cake ready by 4 pm.

My favorite was a 40th b day and they wanted an airplane cake...sure that can be ready by 4pm of next week.

These people book their vactioms months in advance but forget about the cake for their "special event"

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:53pm
post #18 of 28

Before knowing anything about cakes, I made one of these last minute mistakes...really last minute.

My friend from work was getting married and we were taking her out to dinner. It was like a mini-bachelorette party. I had a mom and pop bakery next to my job, so at 4 when my work day was over I called and asked for an adult cake. When they asked when the cake was for I said "8:00 pm".

Silence and then a no.

I was so mad. My ignorant thought was, you can make a cake in 4 hours!

Boy, have I learned my lesson!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:55pm
post #19 of 28

My greatest request came last Friday.
Someone called around 3pm and wanted 500 (yes...500) of these boxed up ready to hand out as favors at a party they were having at 7pm!
Now, I would love to fill that order, but I would like just a little more time (or that Mickey Mouse oven!)
LL

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:13pm
post #20 of 28

Just got one, a mother wanting a Dragon shapped cake for a 4 year olds b day on Friday or Sat, she is flexable, party is Sat night. Told her we are booked. Which we are, it is not only V day but the Daytona 500, good luck getting a dragon shapped cake!

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 8:14pm
post #21 of 28

My first call like this made me feel accomplished. I felt like if I had a reputation fro being great, of course I can do it fast.
That being said, my favorite one:
A women contacted me and asked for a 4 tiered cake, in the theme of a red carpet party. She said its for her sons graduation party. He really wants this cake and she will pay anything. She needs it to "only" feed 100-150 ppl but wants a big cake for dramatic effect. Lots of red and black and bling. She will pay anything, cost is not a factor.
Sounds great right. I was so excited sounds like a fun cake to make. I had it planned in my head and everything.
So I said and when is this for? The women says tomorrow around 2. I said what? No I am sorry. She said please? I will pay you an extra $25.
WT*? i said maam, how much do you think this cake will cost? (she said money was no object so i didnt go there yet,) she said around $100. I said you can try walmart.
so she wanted a 4 tier cake for 100-150 ppl in less than 20hrs. for $100!!!!!!!????????????HA HA HA HA HA HA

tw1nkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tw1nkle Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:50pm
post #22 of 28

WOW! I am truly not alone in this!

Thanks guys for posting these hilarious stories! I'ts reassuring to know that everyone gets a crazy now and then icon_smile.gif

What drives me crazy about these requests/people is how they always try to make me feel bad for saying no. Like most of you pointed out - they took all the time to book a venue, send out invitations, buy presents (most probably) but only JUST realised 24hrs prior to the start of the party that they didn't arrange a cake....ppplllleeeaazzzeeee

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 11:21pm
post #23 of 28

I think the term for that is grocery store mentality.....I would be pissed I was 4th on her list!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 12:11am
post #24 of 28

Thanks for all the great stories, made a crappy day much better.

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:42am
post #25 of 28

I got a phone call tonight about 6:15 (which normally i don't answer on saturday after 4) from a lady who was looking for a valentine's day cake for her husband. started out the call with, you're a bakery right? do you deliver? when i asked where she was, it was in my delivery area so i told her yes, oh great she says, i had ordered a cake from another bakery 3 days ago and she just cancelled my order. so i ask her what she needs and she drops the "I need a cake for tomorrow" on me. told her that i was sorry that all of my vday orders were completed and delivered and that I couldn't complete a cake for her on such a short notice. but i'm disabled and I need a cake for my hubby she said. when i told her again that i couldn't do it on such a short notice, she said she could come and get whatever I had left over she was desperate. i explained to her that i bake everything specifically for orders and didn't have anything "just lying around" all while thinking to myself, wait a minute, you just told me you were disabled and couldn't get out of the house?!?!? i suggested she try the grocery stores and see what they had left over.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:22am
post #26 of 28

I had one of these requests yesterday about 11am. Lady wants this cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1553557

me: when do you need it?
her: well, we're not eating it until Sunday, so Sat evening will be good.
me: you do realize this is Friday, right?
her: I know it's kind of short notice, but I have my heart set on this one.
me: I don't even have enough ingredients to do three tiers of anything even if I had no other orders this weekend. Also, those decorations need to be made ahead and allowed to dry.
her: Oh...well, I was going to get one tier almond, one tier strawberry, one tier chocolate....
me: how many servings were you needing anyway?
her: we'll have about 13 people there.

NO cake for you!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 4:42am
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I had one of these requests yesterday about 11am. Lady wants this cake:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1553557

me: when do you need it?
her: well, we're not eating it until Sunday, so Sat evening will be good.
me: you do realize this is Friday, right?
her: I know it's kind of short notice, but I have my heart set on this one.
me: I don't even have enough ingredients to do three tiers of anything even if I had no other orders this weekend. Also, those decorations need to be made ahead and allowed to dry.
her: Oh...well, I was going to get one tier almond, one tier strawberry, one tier chocolate....
me: how many servings were you needing anyway?
her: we'll have about 13 people there.

NO cake for you!

HAHAHA I love these..." I want three tiers for my party of 15"...cracks me up!!!!

Indy your post made me laugh too because I'm totally like "Man I would never spend all that money on CAKE, I'd figure out how to make it myself!!!"

On second thought...I did...and now I'm making OTHER people spend "that much money on cake" and complaining when they end up just as cheap as I am. haha.

Terrible! icon_lol.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 6:02am
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

And where did you get this amazing oven I WANT one too. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%