Three Year Old's Logic....

Decorating By KateLS Updated 11 Feb 2010 , 7:27am by Sox-n-Pats

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 13

I was just baking some cakes for a church function this Friday, and my three, almost four year old, asked me if she could help. I said no, and she just kinda whined a little. She then notices the little girl helping her mother on the back of the Betty Crocker box and tells me that the picture says that I need help to make the cakes. I then tell her that I can't have my daughters help me when the cake is for someone else. She then tells me that the cake being made in the picture is being made for someone else, so it's okay for her to help. Needless to say, she never won the argument. =)

12 replies
Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 13

oh thats cute! apparently once when i was about 4 i wanted to bake a cake when i was being minded by the older lady up the street...

problem being is the lady was having a nap and i thought a kitchen floor sized cake would be a good idea - opps, flour everywhere!

i dont remember it but my sister does

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 13

When I was about 2yo I "helped" make dinner by pouring an entire container of salt into the pot of food on the stove when my mother wasn't looking icon_razz.gif

When my daughter was little and people asked her if she helped me make cakes, she would always say "I help by not helping." icon_lol.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:03am
post #4 of 13

How cute! What a sweet little girl and one big mean mommy. icon_lol.gif My poor kids here the same line all the time. "It's not for us, so you can't help."

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:22am
post #5 of 13

My granddaughter is only 8 months old but when she hears the mixer running here she comes into the kitchen. She knows that she is going to get to have a bit of icing which she calls "um-yum". I'm sure when she is a little older she will be asking to help mamaw robin. icon_lol.gif

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:29am
post #6 of 13

I have a three year old, she pulls her little stool up to the counter to "watch momma" she knows I'll cave and give her some cake scraps icon_smile.gif

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 4:42am
post #7 of 13

Whenever I'm working with fondant, I always give a ball of it to my 3 year old son. He has his own little rolling pin and cookie cutter and loves to cut out shapes. I usually try to bake a mini cake for him to cover with his fondant. It is so cute, and I love the time we get to spend together.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:19am
post #8 of 13

thats so cute............you will have to find a small area and give her a job doing something....anything....and tell her its for her to learn(which it is) just not on the cake you are doing. Thats so cute. I love working with my grand girl....we started on cardboard gingerbread houses when she was about that age. icon_smile.gif

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 5:55am
post #9 of 13

=) I just love all of your stories and suggestions too! I'll need to put some of those into practice! =)

Thank you all for sharing! =)

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:00am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

thats so cute............you will have to find a small area and give her a job doing something....anything....and tell her its for her to learn(which it is) just not on the cake you are doing. Thats so cute. I love working with my grand girl....we started on cardboard gingerbread houses when she was about that age. icon_smile.gif

I remember the buttercream roses that she made. They were better than mine...lol...

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:06am
post #11 of 13

lol.thats right she does great bc roses.......she is a wonderful little girl. Look how far she has come from that cardboard house

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:18am
post #12 of 13

When my son was about two he had a scoop shovel truck he could sit on and push around with his feet. I had a five gallon bucket with powdered sugar in it, somehow he got the lid off and had gotten himself a big scoop of powder sugar and was dumping it on the floor.

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 7:27am
post #13 of 13

too cute.

Apprently when I was little, I climbed on the kitchen counter early one morning before mom was up and "made" a cake for breakfast by taking the flour, sugar, etc from the canisters and mixing it all over myself and the counter.

When I was older, my mom would make cupcakes with the extra batter, and I'd get a pasty bag of extra icing.

My daughter started the same way. She (12 yrs old now) helps me measure now, and sift, and get's ingredients ready.... she's the 3rd (and 4th) hand I always need. She's also not that bad at making MMF and she's great at kneading and loves to add stuff into the mixer. She can melt chocolate, candy melts.... pipe, make stars; Wow, she actually does a lot!!!

My own little sous chef icon_smile.gif

She wants to be chef when she grows up too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%