Using Stencil On Cake

Decorating By jackfrost Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 9:44pm by obabassa

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 8

Help icon_cry.gif I have a last minute request for a wedding cake using stencil on sides of cake. Have never done this before, but willing to give it a try. She wants buttercream icing, if I let it set up for 24 hours could I then do the stenciling? She wants the design in red, will it work and I was going to use paste and water it down a bit. Please, any advice would be appreciated.

7 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 8

If I were doing it I would use royal icing for the stenciling. Try it both ways on a prcatic board and see what works best for you.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 8

Im also looking to learn how to Damask, but I read in here that somebody gets STENCILS on the side of the cake, and then she get for a glassy thin look ......PIPING GEL mixed with FOOD COLORING...and just puts it on the cake...good luck and put a picture up when done.

ebredhawk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebredhawk Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:59am
post #4 of 8

you can do it!! make sure your BC has a nice crust on it before you go for it, and do a few practice runs since it's so hard to correct anything with red icing. you can thin down the red too a little bit.. it should be easily spreadable, but not too thin that it's going to get underneath the stencil. practicing will be a good chance to see how much/little icing works best with the stencil you're using.

if the cake is square, just hold the stencil on the side until there's enough icing on it to hold it in place... if it's round, there are a number of suggestions, but the most useful i've found is to use small pins to hold it in place on each end.

also, any small mistakes may be able to be cleaned up with a damp, small, soft-bristled paintbrush.

good luck and make sure you let us know how it goes!

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 8

I just did stenciling on an all buttercream cake this past weekend. I thinned my icing using corn syrup and it worked beautifully! I iced the cake the night before so I had a nice crust. Worked like a charm! icon_biggrin.gif

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 8

Good crusting buttercream that has been refridgerated to help firm it up. Then royal icing for the stencil design. I also dust my stencils with a little corn startch or powdered sugar before to help keep it from sticking to the
buttercream.
HTH

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 8

The royal icing works on buttercream? I've just done bc on fondant

obabassa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
obabassa Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 8

Yes ma'am royal icing works very well. Just thin it a litte with some water. I would say glue consistency and I put in on with a little putty spatula. Just spread a thin layer. I find that it works better than buttercream for stenciling. I was having problems the design wanting to pull off with the stencil when I used buttercream. I don't have that problem with royal icing

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%