Decorating By yumcake06 Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 10:11pm by pattycakesnj

yumcake06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yumcake06 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 13

Debating on which Red Velvet cake recipe to use,

Cakeman Raven's recipe

http://www.cakemanraven.com/recipe.htm

or Paula Deen's

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandmother-pauls-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

Looking for a moist recipe from scratch not too oily

12 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 13

I prefer Sarahs recipe on this site. Very moist, easy to make and got rave reviews. Here's the recipe:
Sarahs Red Velvet Cake TWEAKED
Ingredients
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 Tbsp baking cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup butter (not margarine)
2 eggs
1 ounce red food coloring
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.Sift dry ingredients together and set aside.
4.Place butter and sugar in bowl of electric mixer and beat at medium-speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. With mixer on low, add red food coloring (be careful not to splash it, as it stains almost everything). Add vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in two batches. Scrape bowl and mix just long enough to combine.
6.Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 28 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a few crumbs clinging to the toothpick. Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then gently turn cakes out onto cooling rack to cool to room temperature.
8.This cake pairs well with both cream cheese frosting as well as the mildly sweet frosting called Mary Kay Icing (also available here in the recipe section).

Edited to add recipe

yumcake06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yumcake06 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 13

No oil really? I guess that's a good thing...

Thanks for sharing the recipe!

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 13

I like Cakeman's. It's moist and light but it is a bit oily and it didin't hold up well with fondant.

I use Paula Deen's. It's a bit more dense; I think becasue of the butter so it works well with fondant.
Hope this helps!

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 13

I tried Cakeman's and didn't like it..........it still had too much of a vinegar smell to me............love Paula Deen's recipe, but I use The Cake Mix Doctor's Red Velvet recipe.............it's AWESOME!!!!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 13

Just a question is the red food colouring used in these recipes liquid, gel or paste?

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 13

I always use liquid......haven't tried anything else

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:59pm
post #8 of 13

The last two times I tried red velvet I just used Wilton no taste red. That's gel and they turned out fine.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 13

I use ChefMaster no-taste red in mine. Gel.

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 13

I use liquid.

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:57pm
post #11 of 13

thanks for the thread, i was going to make Ravens RV cake this sunday but think i will now either make paula deens or the tweaked sarah one above

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:08pm
post #12 of 13

I use Wiltons No Taste Red but I also use Martha Stewarts, Marha Montplier recipe (might have spelled that name wrong) It's got a nice dense texture and stands up well to stacking and carving.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 13

I just recently did a blind taste test between Cake man ravens and the one from McCormack (who make the red dye) with friends and coworkers all voting. McCormacks won but I like Cake man ravens though it is a little oily and probably won't hold up to carving and fondant. McCormacks was also moist but much denser and will hold up better to carving and fondant (which is what I need it for)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%