Pure White Meringue Buttercream?

Baking By gimmesugar Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 8:26am by Elise87

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:49am
post #1 of 8

I tried making IMBC and I love it! However, because of the butter that goes into it, it's not white at all. I used clear vanilla but the batch was still pretty tinted. Any ideas? I've heard of organic butter that's not yellow but I can't find any of that stuff around here. Would mixing it longer make it more white? I've heard of that with powdered sugar/butter based BCs. TIA!

7 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:54am
post #2 of 8

whip your butter

Mike

gimmesugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gimmesugar Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:56am
post #3 of 8

Do I whip the butter first and then add it in portions to the whipped egg white/sugar mixture?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:21am
post #4 of 8

yeah

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:44am
post #5 of 8

If I want to lighten my IMBC a bit i sometimes add a good squirt of wilton's white-white colouring

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:01am
post #6 of 8

i actually just add pats of cool butter to my egg white mixture..never have beaten the butter first. i use the whimsical bake house recipe. it is really delicious... any recipe. that i have used.. just says... to use the cool pats of butter... end up with smooth imbc or smbc.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:23am
post #7 of 8

I just tell people I don't make bright white icing. Sorry, real vanilla is not white, real butter isn't white either. Off white is still pretty darn white, and a lot more palatable. It's never been an issue.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:26am
post #8 of 8

yeh you would have to add an awful lot of that white-white stuff to make it close to pure white and if you did it may cause the icing to go funny, i dunno. I just add enough of it to make it go off white and leave it at that, it's hard with butter buttercreams to go pure white

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%