How Do I Get Cornstarch Off Of My Fondant???

Decorating By masturbaker Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 3:56am by DetailsByDawn

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:38am
post #1 of 10

it seems like whenever i work with fondant i get cornstarch EVERYWHERE.. including on top of my fondant. is there an easy way to get it off? brushing it off with my hand doesn't seem to work, just smears it.

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:45am
post #2 of 10

I've read on here that a good way is to airbrush with vodka.

However, It's best to not get it on there in the first place. Roll out the fondant on a thin film of veg shortening. Leave the cornstarch in the cabinet.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:56am
post #3 of 10

I always use cornstarch. The easiest way to get it off is to rub your hands over the fondant after you've rolled it out and before you put it on the cake. It makes it smoother and gets the cornstarch off. You can also paint the cake with vodka and the cornstarch will disappear as the vodka evaporates, but it usually makes it a little shiny which isn't always what you want.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:57am
post #4 of 10

I always use a small 2 inch brush or one of those art sponge brushes, they work pretty good.

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:58am
post #5 of 10

i just did my first fondant cake(yay for me!) lol. i rolled it out using using sugar, so ended up with it on the fondant as well. i brushed as much off as i could with dry hands, then i just rubbed some shortening on my hands and smoothed the rest off. worked out well i think. not overly shiny, but has a slight shine.

cdavis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdavis Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:00am
post #6 of 10

I've airbrushed with water and it removes the cornstarch without leaving a shine after it dries. If you want it to shine, I'd use vodka. Don't have an airbrush, use a nylon bristle brush that is barely damp and brush over the cornstarch.

AngelaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelaM Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:12am
post #7 of 10

I'm with Leah, I use a little bit of shortening instead so I don't have to worry about removing corn starch or powdered sugar from the fondant. However, if you have a steamer you can steam it off lightly. I have a small steamer I use to steam my cakes on the occasion I have some sugar on them, or if I want to give the fondant a nice shine.

masturbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masturbaker Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:09am
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:26am
post #9 of 10

I've read this here and it works like a charm: once your done with your cake or project put shortening in a piece of kitchen napkin and pass it all over your fondant and the cornstarch will disappear.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:56am
post #10 of 10

I always use cornstarch too - I can't seem to get the shortening method right.... I use a steamer. Very short, quick passes - Once it has a slight sheen, the cornstarch magically disappears.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%