Ever Had To "rehydrate" Nfsc Dough?

Baking By windycitybaker Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm by windycitybaker

windycitybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windycitybaker Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 12:25am
post #1 of 6

I made some NFSC dough a couple weeks ago - used part of it right away and put the rest in the 'frig in a ziploc freezer bag. Took the dough out of the frig last night and let it soften at room temp. When I went to roll it out, it was so crumbly that it wouldn't roll - yet it rolled fine when it was first made (I roll between two sheets of parchment paper). I've read on here that the dough can be refrigerated, so I thought I'd be ok.

Has anyone ever had this happen and come up with a fix for it? I was counting on making Valentine's cookies this week!

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 12:29am
post #2 of 6

Have you tried kneading it? The first time I made NFSC, I refrigerated the dough for 2 days before I got around to rolling and baking it and it was pretty stiff. But, I found if I kneaded the dough, it got back to the right consistency.

verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #3 of 6

Wait a minute... you said you have you dough in the FRIDGE for a COUPLE of weeks?? I wouldn't use it!! Freezer is fine for a few weeks.. but fridge.. not for me! I let sit my dough in the fridge only 2 days.. If I don't intend to use it soon, I put it in the freezer...

windycitybaker Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:50am
post #4 of 6

uh oh...maybe it's no good then...bummer!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 6

I have had to rehydrate before after a few days in the fridge........I just used my airbrush with water in it and misted the top of the dough and then rekneaded it until it was the right consistency.

as for keeping it in the fridge for weeks.......I had some in my fridge for about 3 weeks and didn't want to throw it out, but didn't want to use it for a customer.......so I figured I'd do some practice/show cookies. You know, mess around with designs I'd been wanting to try and decorate them and then keep them so if I needed to show a customer an actual example of a cookie design I'd have it.

Well, my kids begged and begged for one and finally was like "they're gonna taste nasty, but go ahead.......hopefully nobody gets sick" well, they raved about the taste so much that I had to try (daring I know!) and they were fine........nobody got sick and they tasted completely normal, no difference!

I would probably still shy away from using it for a paid order, but as for eating on your own.........your choice.......we didn't have any ill reactions (but we might just have strong stomachs lol)

windycitybaker Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 6

That's great feedback, K! I ended up throwing it away and made a new batch...but if it ever happens again, I'll bake it up and give it to my husband. He's ALWAYS asking for "samples" when I bake, and he has a really strong stomach anyway! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%