Pricing Your Gp Flower?

Business By LuvLyrics Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 3:23am by thin4life

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 12:14am
post #1 of 14

I am sorry if this question was asked before, plz just direct me...

How do you price your GP Flower and Fondant work? per flower? or amount of gp used plus your time?

Thank you
Anna

13 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #2 of 14

A little of both. You need to cover both your supplies and your time.

Nick Lodge charges $8 for a full blown rose, but he can also do one in like a quarter of the time it takes me. (I can't remember exactly how long he said, but it was mind blowing).

If you are fairly quick, know how much you are spending to make it, then time yourself and add your hourly rate to the cost. Seems fair to me. Then Nick also charges an assembly fee if he's making an arrangement or bouquet. I think it was $20 for the one we made in class. I guess that's totally up to you as to how long it takes you and what you feel is fair.

LuvLyrics Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:39am
post #3 of 14

Karateka...thank you for your response... by the way who is Nick Lodge ??...pretty new to the caking world icon_smile.gif thanks

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 14

NIck Lodge is a pastry chef from England. Does lovely work. Teaches all over the place, even has a school in Georgia. Google him and read a bit. He has a bunch of instructional dvd's that are great.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 14

Lots of cake companies sell flowers on the internet. You're best bet would be to look up the individual flower that you are making and then see how much they sell the flower for. Then you can price your flowers accordingly.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=989&s=&name=Gumpaste%20Flowers%20&%20Decorations/Misc%20Flowers

http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=2931

Hope this helps!

LuvLyrics Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 14

Karate..I looked him up after I posted the question LOL....really wish i could go to Atlanta and take his courses !!

Cylstrial...thank you so much for the links !!

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 14

I would charge at least $5 per flower like rose, lily, about $8 for peony,$3-5 for daisy.

LuvLyrics Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11cupcakes

I would charge at least $5 per flower like rose, lily, about $8 for peony,$3-5 for daisy.

I need to charge more icon_wink.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:10am
post #9 of 14

I think it's important to know the price of the flower you are making in fresh.... take the calla for instance. It's one of the quickest flowers to make, but run 8-10.00 in fresh. Don't give them away. Tell your brides they are a bargain in sugar. I charge 6.00 and have no problem getting that.

Cost of fresh (keeping in mind) + time and supplies. Time is whatever you want to make per hour.

You will get quicker as you do them, too.

Hope this helps -

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 1:45am
post #10 of 14

frm JenniferMI -take the calla for instance. It's one of the quickest flowers to make, but run 8-10.00 in fresh.

Are you kidding me!! I wish they were that here. I got some for my anniversary and they were $13 a piece! Hubby got them because he knows they are my favorite but I about died when i saw the bill. (by accicent icon_wink.gif )

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 2:17am
post #11 of 14

I'm sure flowers run differently in different regions...but my point is just don't give them away if they might be easy to do icon_smile.gif

Enjoy your callas...they do last a long time, which is good with how expensive they are icon_smile.gif

Jen icon_smile.gif

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 14

Wow, I charge $20.00 for a single full peony, and I haven't had one persone balk at that. Some flowers take a looooong time to make, so I charge accordingly. Well, at least they take a long time for me, but I'm not the fastes flower maker out there. I just don't enjoy that process as much as other things.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:00am
post #13 of 14

Wow had no idea Nick Lodge had a school in Atlanta....thanks for that info.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 3:23am
post #14 of 14

I was once told by a professional cake decoration who make the most amazing gum paste flowers that when she started doing her flowers she went to some local flower stores to see what the flowers sold for and she priced them a few cents lower so she then could tell her clients that her flowers cost less than real flowers. I am sorry I can't remember her name but like I said her flowers look real.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%