Delonghi, Globe, Viking-$600 Please Help

Decorating By smbegg Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 4:16am by chefjulie

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 11

I need to buy a new mixer and I was given $600 to do so. I have killed my old KA. I make double batches of NFSC, RI, and fondant along with cake mixes. I know that I need a heavy duty mixer, but would like to see what you all use that is in that price range. (I do not need bigger than 10 QT.)

I DO NOT want another KA.

Thanks
stephanie

10 replies
DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 11

I have a 7 qt. Viking that I have really enjoyed. I use it for everything. I am glad that we bought a 2nd bowl.

The most strenuous thing I make is fondant.
When I am mixing fondant, I stop when I have reached approx. 12 cups of powdered sugar. I can hear a change in the mixer's sound. I add the remaining powdered sugar by hand. I can double Toba Garrett's recipe.

The problem with a tall 7 qt. bowl comes when I am making a small amount. Everything is "way down there". icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

smbegg Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks!

Anyone else have any advise? I know that there has to be people out there that use mixers other than the KA.

Stephanie

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 11

I have a refurb Viking that I paid 300 for. The best 3 I ever spent.

Mike

MeggieBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggieBeth Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 11

I have a Viking 7-qt. stand mixer. I got lucky because my father-in-lkaw sells appliances, Viking included, and got me a great price. I paid 450 (vs 650) for a new one. I love mine! I use it to mix chocolate chip cookie dough with no problem. I aldo use it to mix my scratch fondant (then follow up kneeding by hand). My only problem with the design of the Viking is that the top tilts back (vs slide up and tilt like KA), and I hate to have to take off the attachments to scrape the bowl. It does have great power (high watts) and so many speeds, and I love the nob vs the lever to change the speed.

smbegg Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:45am
post #6 of 11

So it seems my options are :

5 Qt Viking
7 Qt Viking
5 Qt Globe

Anyone with these make double batches sugar cookies and MMF?

I have been reading reviews and there have been some negative for the Viking. And for that money, I really want to make sure that it works for my needs.

thanks Stephanie

maidofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maidofcake Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:15am
post #7 of 11

I am actually looking at buying the Magic Mill DLX Assistent by Electrolux. I want something to compliment my KA. I know the Electrolux is excellent at mixing bread doughs, so I'm hoping that it will translate to fondant as well.

I've read nothing but glowing reviews on thefreshloaf.com. I don't think any caker here uses one, though.

Here's a link if you'd like to check it out yourself: http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/magic_mill_dlx_mixer.aspx

As of the beginning of January, they did not have the gray mixer in stock, but it seems as though they do now.

MeggieBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggieBeth Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 2:42am
post #8 of 11

I've never made MMF, but my fondant recipe makes 2.5 lbs, and I've done a double batch of that in my 7qt viking, and I've made triple batches of snickerdoodles. I wish I had tried double batches of sugar cookies or MMF and could be more help!

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:30am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbegg

I have been reading reviews and there have been some negative for the Viking. And for that money, I really want to make sure that it works for my needs.

thanks Stephanie

What were the negative Viking reviews saying?

-Debbie B.

smbegg Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:49am
post #10 of 11

Some had issues with not being able to handle dough at even half capacity. There were a few about that. Some commented on cheap feeling construction. I thought that the Cuisinart felt chintzy and the Viking seems similar (though I have not felt the viking) Since I cannot afford the Hobart, I think that I am going to go with the 5 qt Globe.

Stephanie

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 4:16am
post #11 of 11

Honestly, I wouldnt go with 5 quart ANYTHING if you're having to make double batches... There's no way you're going to easily (if at all) mix a double batch of NFSC. My 7 qt will mix it, no problem, but it's definitely full. Oh, and FWIW, I dont think you could go wrong with a viking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%