Zebra Stripe Cookies - Technique Question

Baking By drakegore Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 1:05pm by GeminiRJ

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 13

i am going to be making some valentine's heart with black and white zebra stripes using glace icing.
what would be the best way to do this?

wet on wet?
pipe the black stripes first, let dry, and then fill in white background?
pipe white background area and then fill in black stripes?
or
flood whole cookie white and then overpipe black stripes?

thank you for any help you can throw my way!

diane

12 replies
ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:32pm
post #2 of 13

I did some squares wet on wet. ( in my photos) Not the greatest, but they were a lot of fun. icon_biggrin.gif

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:00pm
post #3 of 13

I wonder how much would the black bleed in any of these methods.....

With you will be using these colors anyway, have you tried doing tests on parchment to see what effect works best?

If you piped a white background and let it dry before adding the black it would probably work.

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 13

I would stay away from wet on wet with black and white. There is a lot of bleeding risk. Also, be sure to add white coloring to the glace to help stabilize the colors.

Kathi

drakegore Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 13

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetsugarbelle/4333398806/

how do you think sweetsugarbelle did these? (i have emailed her via flickr but i need to start asap)?

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 13

those look like she iced them, let them dry, then did the stripes.

drakegore Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 13

that was my guess too, but do you think she outlined and then flooded stripes or do you think she used a big tube and just squeezed them onto the cookies in one fell swoop?

rebew10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebew10 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 13

If you look at her other cookies (church, zebra cross, leopard), I'm reading it as she flooded the cookie first and then went back and did the print on top.

charliejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliejo Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 13

but I saw on a post doing your cookie cut, the cut in fondant and put on when they come out of the oven. i tried it and it's great, I use homemade fondant tho, you would think you could stripe the fondant, just a ideal

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 13

I'd definitely flood the white, let dry, then do the black stripes. If it were me, I'd use a #2 tip to pipe on the outline then quickly fill in with more black. I like to use a tapered, off-set spatula to smooth out the icing. As already mentioned, I'm afraid of the possibility of bleeding if you did a wet on wet technique. Good luck!

charliejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charliejo Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I'd definitely flood the white, let dry, then do the black stripes. If it were me, I'd use a #2 tip to pipe on the outline then quickly fill in with more black. I like to use a tapered, off-set spatula to smooth out the icing. As already mentioned, I'm afraid of the possibility of bleeding if you did a wet on wet technique. Good luck!

Looking at your photo's id say your know what your talking about, great work!

drakegore Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 10:47pm
post #12 of 13

gemini,
you'd flood the entire cookie white, dry, and then pipe the black on top of the dry white? am i understanding correctly?
thank you!
diane

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 1:05pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

gemini,
you'd flood the entire cookie white, dry, and then pipe the black on top of the dry white? am i understanding correctly?
thank you!
diane

If I had the luxury of time, I'd flood the cookies white in the evening, then let them dry overnight. I'd add the black the next day. I've had very little trouble with bleeding, but it only takes once to make you gun shy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%