How Long Can Fondant Stay In The Fridge???

Decorating By Megabot Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 10:02am by ceshell

Megabot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megabot Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 3

I'm doing a cake for a friend for this friday. I work thur and friday so I have to do the cake on Wed and I'm a little concerned about keeping a fondant cake in the fridge for two nights and two days. The plan was to cover it with some color of fondant and decorate it with fondant daisies. What do you think??? Help!

2 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 3

Is it possible to cover it with saran wrap and leave it out of the frig? If it doesnt have a filling that needs to be refrigerated its not necessary to store it there. The saran wrap will help keep the fondant softer.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 10:02am
post #3 of 3

You can keep it in the fridge, but I'd put the daisies on the day you plan to deliver it. Just take it out an hour or two early to allow time for the moisture to evaporate. If you have plenty of time beforehand and the filling doesn't require refrigeration, you can take it out super-early and then decorate in a few hours when the whole thing is dry. Of course at that point you could have just left it on the counter lol.

BTW if you are using commercial fondant such as Satin Ice it doesn't even matter, that stuff refrigerates fine. MMF refrigerates fine except for the condensation problem when it comes to room temp (but it evaporates eventually, unless it is impossibly humid where you live). You can help by keeping it in a room with A/C. Regardless though, if you refrigerate the daisies they will likely lose their shape, our you may find that some colors have run. If your daisies are flat (kinda 2D) then nevermind!

If you do refrigerate the cake, don't cover it unless you can put it in a box. The fondant acts like saran wrap and seals your cake nicely; however plastic wrap may make marks on it due to the trapped moisture. pattigunter's tip is perfect for if you leave it out on the counter; of course you would want to make sure nothing crawls or lands or floats onto it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%