Ribbon Roses - Attaching To A Flower Pot Cake???

Decorating By jdconcc Updated 9 Mar 2011 , 8:56pm by mrsmudrash

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 14

Hi

I'm trying out the flowerpot cake that cupcakeenvy and mrsmudrash have made, with the ribbon roses. I am in the process of making the roses and can't decide whether to leave a tapered point at the back or slice them flat as I'm not sure how they will attach to the cake.

I thought I would make a mound of cake ball mixture to slightly dome the cake at the top of the pot and then do I stick the roses onto the buttercream or poke them in?? Or have I got the wrong idea altogether?

Also am planning to cover pot in modelling chocolate - any tips on making/working with that would be soo much appreciated too...

can you tell I haven't really got a clue on this one...

Any advice would be great! Thanks so much.

13 replies
krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 14

I don't have any advice for you but I was just looking at the flower pot cakes on cupcake envy and now I want to make one too! They are so adorable. How are you making the cake portion? Is it a mini cake or a full size one? Are you covering it in fondant?

I'm going to see if I can convince my daughter to have one of these for her birthday party icon_smile.gif

jdconcc Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 14

I'm planning on stacking and carving 6" chocolate cakes then covering with bc and either modelling chocolate or fondant. Good luck, I convinced my friend it would make a lovely moving in present for her daughter's new house icon_smile.gif

jdconcc Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 14

any help on this one I need to start work on it tomorrow, thanks

jdconcc Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 14

Ok if no one has any ideas I'll give it a go and let you know how it turns out, I'll try to remember to take pics as I go.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 14

you are on the right lines icon_smile.gif really there is not perfect technique, im sure most people do it differently to each other.
it might be too late now, but try sending a pm to the others you mentioned, they might get it in time to tell you how they did it.

the way i would do it...
well to cover the pot, i would probably use a bandage of fondant round the side, then anouther smaller one round the top.
i would have a mound of whatever (solid fondant? iced kitchen foil? styrofoam? whatever!) in the middle. and either covered in bc or fondant. id give the roses a flatter back. littler ones i would just stick in the bc (with edible glue for fondant). and if you start at the bottom and work your way to the top, then to some extent they will also support the above layers. for bigger roses id stick a cocktail stick in the back, then into the mound.
xx

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 5:32am
post #7 of 14

Hi, I just saw your post...I might be too late, but the way I did it was to carve down a 6" cake, or buy the large/tall muffin pans that look like the bottom of a flower pot. I think I bought mine at Michael's. I turned them upside down and covered the bottom/sides with modeling chocolate, then flipped it over and added another strip at the top. Then I domed a whole bunch of buttercream in the center and started placing my roses around the edges first, then added more bc in the center if needed and kept stacking on top of the first row. I added little leaves for filler then stuck it in the fridge to harden up. The buttercream helped to set the roses. I didn't really cut the bases of the ribbon roses, I left them slightly tapered so it was easier to stick them into the buttercream. I hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

jdconcc Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm
post #8 of 14

brincess b and Mrs Mudrash thanks so much for your help I really appreciate it! I got there in the end and my attempt is passable if a little wonky, but I learnt a lot in the process to change next time and I must find out how to make modelling choc as the fondant was a mare.

Mrs Mudrash, I'm a huge fan of your cakes/blog so please don't be offended by my attempt, I know it's so far off your neatness, I can only hope and practise icon_smile.gif xxx

mrsmudrash Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 14

Hey girl - VERY nice! icon_smile.gif

Don't be too hard on yourself! We are all a work in progress and I can tell you made it with love in hopes of blessing another...and THAT is what matters!!! Great job!! The firsts at anything are always a nightmare! Next time you'll surprise yourself because of all the things you learned on this one...do it again soon!! icon_smile.gif

Blessings!
Jessica

new2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
new2bake Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 14

hi mrsmudrash, can u plz elaborate as to how many layers of 6'' pan did u use and also give the recipie for modelling choclate that u used for covering..thanku so much for all ur help, take care

mrsmudrash Posted 8 Mar 2011 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bake

hi mrsmudrash, can u plz elaborate as to how many layers of 6'' pan did u use and also give the recipie for modelling choclate that u used for covering..thanku so much for all ur help, take care

I actually don't remember because it's been a while since I did that cake. Since then I've been using the large/deep cupcake tins because they are perfect mini flower pots!

Modeling chocolate is 14 oz candy melts to 3 oz of corn syrup. The ratio is different if using real chocolate. The Joy of Baking has more info...just google search it. Melt the candy melts and add corn syrup. It will seize and look weird, but that's okay. Spread it out on seran wrap to 1/2" thick or so and wait until it cools/firms up. There will be some wax/liquid that comes out, just wipe/dab that with paper towel. Once hardened, break off small pieces and knead until smooth.

Good luck!
Jessica

new2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
new2bake Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 3:31am
post #12 of 14

thanku soooooo much for your help. Its just that where i live we don't have any candymelts...so i guess i'll have to find something with chocolate. have been wanting to make your masterpiece for ages...it is so beautiful! I do have a wondermold pan...can u suggest what would be easier, the wondermold pan or to bake layers and then carve? thanku once again, take care,
umber

mrsmudrash Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:29pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bake

thanku soooooo much for your help. Its just that where i live we don't have any candymelts...so i guess i'll have to find something with chocolate. have been wanting to make your masterpiece for ages...it is so beautiful! I do have a wondermold pan...can u suggest what would be easier, the wondermold pan or to bake layers and then carve? thanku once again, take care,
umber

Here's the link to the joy of baking site with the chocolate recipes:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/ModelingChoc.html

If you can use a mold, it'll make it easier...no carving! icon_smile.gif

mrsmudrash Posted 9 Mar 2011 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 14

Just found this link...thought you'd appreciate it! icon_smile.gif

http://cupcakeenvy.blogspot.com/2011/01/flower-pot-cakelets-made-easy.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%