Anybody Have Any Experience Food Styling?

Business By snarkybaker Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm by snarkybaker

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 11

So, Southern Living magazine called and they want to do a story about us. They, of course, want pictures of our cupcakes and cookies. I talked to a photographer about doing the phot shoot and he started telling me to make sure we prepped the cupcakes for photography. Make sure the icing is really smooth etc.

We use a hybrid IMBC that is lovely and fluffy, but quite soft. Does anyone have a great " photo" frosting?

10 replies
Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:25pm
post #2 of 11

WT frosting photographs really well. You can do nice swirls and tops with it.

Not that I'd ever want to INGEST the shite, of course, but it looks good. Play around with the consistency a little until you get it to look the way you want.

Mensch Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 11

BTW,

congrats! This'll be great for 'bidness'!

snarkybaker Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

WT frosting photographs really well. You can do nice swirls and tops with it.

Not that I'd ever want to INGEST the shite, of course, but it looks good. Play around with the consistency a little until you get it to look the way you want.

does WT mean Wilton?

Mensch Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #5 of 11

Oy, sorry. I forgot that not everyone knows our business anacronyms.

White trash frosting (yes, that's what we call it at work.).

You know, that horrid-icky-powdered-sugar-gritty-in-the-teeth-overly-sweet-garbage.

snarkybaker Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Oy, sorry. I forgot that not everyone knows our business anacronyms.

White trash frosting (yes, that's what we call it at work.).

You know, that horrid-icky-powdered-sugar-gritty-in-the-teeth-overly-sweet-garbage.

tee hee...I know a lot of the acronyms. We call it FFF here, for Food Free Frosting, since there are no actual food stuffs in the ingredient list.

Mensch Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 11

LMAO We have so many crazy acronyms at work that an average person would understand about half of our conversations.

Oh, and make sure you double or triple cup your cupcakes, or use the foil papers. It looks really unappetizing on film with grease spots on the paper.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 11

Pipe some patching plaster, and paint any color you want.

Mike

danaintx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danaintx Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 11

I know nothing about food photography, but I think this is awesome! I have watched the clip of your video you shared many times. My husband and I are starting in to this adventure and it is great to see your success! Let us know when it appears, I am a SL subscriber!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 11

Yikes guys I know some expensive places that use that type of frosting... that sounds kind of harsh. Though it really doesn't taste great, it's just passable.

snarkybaker Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaintx

I know nothing about food photography, but I think this is awesome! I have watched the clip of your video you shared many times. My husband and I are starting in to this adventure and it is great to see your success! Let us know when it appears, I am a SL subscriber!

Thanks so much!! We will let you know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%