What Mixers Do You Use?

Business By MMBabycakes Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 7:10pm by MMBabycakes

MMBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MMBabycakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I'm a newbie and I just opened a cupcake shop in November. Right now, I'm using a Kitchenaid mixer and 3 Sunbeam mixers. As of now they're ok, but I know that I'm going to have to upgrade. I don't want to jump right into a Hobart just yet, so just wondering if there's something in between?

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 7

Look for a used Hobart. They can be surprisingly affordable, especially give the volume they can produce.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 7

I second Leah. Look for auctions of used restaurant equipment. Hobarts last forever and do amazing work. A good piece of commercial equipment is a better investment than an employee.

cupiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupiecake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 7

Craigslist is also a great place to buy used restaurant equipment. My tips for buying on CL is to meet the person at a busy location, and ALWAYS with someone. My husband goes with me EVERY time... never meet at someone's house. Also, make sure the product your buying works, and appears to be in good condition. (if they failed to "clean it up" and it looks bad, use your gut feeling and know that that might now be the one.) Don't feel obligated to buy something if it just isn't what your looking for.

As for the mixer I use, KitchenAid Pro 6 Series.... I love it. icon_smile.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 7

i got a 20 qt off ebay a few months ago for a few hundred dollars...you really need at least a 20 qt...it will cut your workload way down!

i got a 30 qt for icing...i kinda wish i had an even bigger one, i fill it up 3 times on saturdays

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 6:07pm
post #6 of 7

I have a 30 quart Hobart Floor model,its too big, but it does the deed.

MMBabycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MMBabycakes Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 7

So I went on Craigslist and lucked up on a 10qt Hobart. I had to order the paddle because the previous owner had it in storage for years and couldn't find it. Long story short, I plugged it in and am now in Hobart Heaven. I'm already saving up to find a 20qt sooner than later, but for now...I'm happy.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%