Gum Paste/fondant Bow Isn't Dry....

Decorating By mamawrobin Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 4:58pm by CWIL

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 18

Does anyone have a tip for speeding up the drying time on a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste bow?

17 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 18

Some people place them in the oven with just the light on, but you always run the risk of turning the oven on...yikes!

I have an empty curio cabinet that I use just for drying figures/bows. It has a 40 watt bulb that I turn on.

If it's particularly humid I place the item in front of a small fan and keep rotating it around.

How long has it been drying for?

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 18

I just had this problem with palm leaves for my palm tree. I tried the oven with the light on and the fan and they would not dry. They were drying for 2 days and were still to soft. I needed them to finish the cake so I had to think of something fast. I got some white chocolate and colored it green and brushed it to the back of the leaf and let it harden and it worked great for the tree.
It was the first time I have ever tried this so I am not sure it would work for a bow. HTH

mamawrobin Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 18

Thanks for your quick replys and suggestions. Deb_ they have been drying since yesterday. I have done this many times before and they are usually dry by now. I have them in the oven with just the light on (BIG SIGN SAYING "DO NOT TURN ON OVEN" IS POSTED ON MY OVEN DOOR...LOL). They are starting to firm up so I do believe this is going to work. Thanks so much!!

We are getting ice this morning so I think it is a humidity issue.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelt76

I just had this problem with palm leaves for my palm tree. I tried the oven with the light on and the fan and they would not dry. They were drying for 2 days and were still to soft. I needed them to finish the cake so I had to think of something fast. I got some white chocolate and colored it green and brushed it to the back of the leaf and let it harden and it worked great for the tree.
It was the first time I have ever tried this so I am not sure it would work for a bow. HTH

Thanks for this tip, like you said it may not work for a bow but it's good to know for other issues I come up against in the future!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 18

future suggestion: I use a personal fan (the small ones - you can get them on the cheap after school starts up again in the fall, mine cost $3.74 at Target) to dry my gumpaste pieces. Also I dont do 50/50 mixes anymore . I always add tylose powder to fondant that way I can control the consistency of the final mix. I live in the South...humidity central! I just did my first teacup, saucer and bowl with this usual method and it came out 1 day drier than expected.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

future suggestion: I use a personal fan (the small ones - you can get them on the cheap after school starts up again in the fall, mine cost $3.74 at Target) to dry my gumpaste pieces. Also I dont do 50/50 mixes anymore . I always add tylose powder to fondant that way I can control the consistency of the final mix. I live in the South...humidity central! I just did my first teacup, saucer and bowl with this usual method and it came out 1 day drier than expected.

What would you say your fondant/tylose ratio is? I have tylose, don't know why I didn't just do that. I also live in the south so the humidity is usually a problem for me. And I will be buying one of those fans! Thanks.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 18

I use 2 tsp Tylose per pound of fondant, and I also use the oven light technique. Works like a charm.

mamawrobin Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengyrl26

I use 2 tsp Tylose per pound of fondant, and I also use the oven light technique. Works like a charm.

Thanks, I don't ever want this to happen to me again so I really appreciate your input.

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 18

GREENGYRL26 - can you tell me if Wilton Gum-Tex is the same as tylose?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 18

Gum tex and tylose are not the same. But they can work the same when adding to fondant. I much prefer tylose than Gum Tex.
Edna icon_smile.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:59pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIL

GREENGYRL26 - can you tell me if Wilton Gum-Tex is the same as tylose?

Nope. But if you want to use that heres a great link:
http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/recipes/gp.htm

If you want to learn about different types of "strengtheners" you could go to the "S" site (of that which cannot be named); PM me if you want the site name. Do a search for "tylose" on the main page, then pick the 2nd link titled, "Gumpaste, pastillage, etc" that takes you straight to the catalog page (scroll down) which explains each type.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:02pm
post #13 of 18

Gum-tex isn't the same exact thing as tylose but does do the same thing.

I use gum-tex mixed with fondant all the time for bows and figures.

greengyrl26 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:04pm
post #14 of 18

They basically work the same, but I much prefer Tylose. icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:39pm
post #15 of 18

Where would I find tylose? The Hobby Lobby and Micahael's where I shop only carry Wilton gum-tex.

greengyrl26 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:41pm
post #16 of 18

I can only find it online. I usually order it from Global Sugar Art, a few bottles at a time. I think the brand I use is CK Products. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 18

I am actually working on an order for new pans at Global Sugar Art.com today, I will just add tylose to my order. Thank you.

CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:58pm
post #18 of 18

Thanks guys. I've asked this question before and never gotten a response! When I've added the Gum-Tex to fondant before for figures, I always have problems with cracking and so I'm hoping that I won't have the same issues with the tylose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%