Help! 1St Big Wedding Cake!

Decorating By chefdot Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 12:53am by wrightway777

chefdot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefdot Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 30

ok, so I need to find a good recipe for white cake that can stand up pretty well to be torted a few times with some strawberry filling. And also a whip cream frosting if possible.

I usually buy the already made whip cream frosting from a local bakery cuz I've never been able to make a good one myself and everyone loves the one I have bought before.

Bride doesn't want fondant coverage on the cake and it's been cold lately so I don't need to worry about that, just stressing about being able to get a really smooth coverage on the cake with whip cream since it's not like a crusting b/c that you can just use a Viva papertowel on or even hot knife it.

Then I am going to be doing a topper for her like the emblem on the pic I have attached, just not going to say those items, but I am not sure how to even begin doing that and to make it so it doesn't fall if I put it on top. Might put it in the same area as the cake posted and just put roses on top just to be safe... but really have no idea how to do this. HELP!

Any suggestions???
LL

29 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdot

ok, so I need to find a good recipe for white cake that can stand up pretty well to be torted a few times with some strawberry filling. And also a whip cream frosting if possible. I usually buy the already made whip cream frosting from a local bakery cuz I've never been able to make a good one myself and everyone loves the one I have bought before.
Bride doesn't want fondant coverage on the cake and it's been cold lately so I don't need to worry about that, just stressing about being able to get a really smooth coverage on the cake with whip cream since it's not like a crusting b/c that you can just use a Viva papertowel on or even hot knife it.
Then I am going to be doing a topper for her like the emblem on the pic I have attached, just not going to say those items, but I am not sure how to even begin doing that and to make it so it doesn't fall if I put it on top. Might put it in the same area as the cake posted and just put roses on top just to be safe... but really have no idea how to do this. HELP!
Any suggestions???

Wow I can tell you're nervous by this post.

First things first....white cake recipe, here's a really good one. It is a scratch WASC cake.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2165/a-better-white-scratch-cake

Second.....no a whipped cream frosting is not going to crust and won't be easy to get super smooth with sharp edges. You as the professional will have to explain that to your client. Sometimes what a client wants and what we can achieve with that medium are two very different things.

Third....I'd make a gumpaste plaque ahead of time so that it has sufficient time to dry and then paint whatever design you need on it once it's dry.

I looked at your photos and didn't see many tiered cakes. IF you aren't completely comfortable making a cake this large for a wedding (especially if it's your first) it's ok to pass on the order.

Having said that, if you do decide to make it just think of it as 3 individual cakes that just need to be stacked. Be sure you use a good solid support system, practice ahead of time and you'll do fine.

Good luck!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 30

With regards to the plaque - make sure that after you make it you dry it on a curved surface like a cake pan side or styrofoam dummy cake the same size as the cake it's going on.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 30

I personally use the WASC cake that has a box mix as the base. I have better luck with it coming out right consistently. It is nice and sturdy, and is my best selling cake here. (If you would like the one I use, just pm me and I will send it to you)

If you are using a purchased whipped icing, I am betting you could use the hot spatula technique to smooth it. Try it ahead of time to see for sure.

The emblem - yep, gumpaste. Get an extruder to make the pieces so they are all nice and uniform. There are several posts on how to make the gumpaste really nice and pliable to go through the extruder (adding shortning to it)

I agree with Deb_ - just think of it as 3 individual cakes that you put together, not nearly as intimidating that way!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 30

Ok...first things first....
Make a decision between the two:
Do you want to make a from A) scratch cake or go with B) an extended cake mix recipe?
A)If you want to go from scratch then I would do the Mermaid Bakeries yellow cake recipe (no it doesnt come out yellow since its from scratch its off white). If you choose this then I have lots tips to make it come out right. Mouthfeel = very stable tight cell cake.
B) If you want to go with an extended cake mix recipe then go with the WASC
there is a great link here on CC that Macsmom started that gives tons of recipes that structure themselves around this main recipe...let me know if you need it

As far as the smoothing of the BC...do you have any WBH books? If not go to the bookstore and look in the cake baking section for the book titled, "The Whimsicalbakehouse fun to make cakes...." by Kaye Hansen and Liv Hansen. It has a pink piece of cake on the front. Check out her tips on smoothing. Pg 36 (their House bc is a light whipped consistency)and 37 (their IMBC) has their popular bc that would fit right up your alley. Neither crust so yeah, gotta use that hot knife*.

And the logo heres some ideas:
1. Fastest quickest way: Go to your local grocery store's bakery (like Publix) and ask them to do an edible image. If you are lucky you wont run into "copyright whining. Cost: approx $10 You pay for the sheet so once you give them your final copy to print off I would have some other pics on the sheet that you think you may use in the future (could be anything, hearts, holiday stuff, etc). This is then applied to fondant in the same shape...follow advice in #2 as far as dowels.
Long term future solution: buy your own printer to print edible images

2. Go exacto knife crazy: Look at Bakerella's 2/6/10 entry where she talks about making paper templates and cutting fondant. Do that technique. You could stick a sharpened small dowel (or two) (or heavy guage wrapped wire**) up the bottom side (the rest of the stick/s would be hidden when you sink it into your top tier (on site!). You MUST allow for proper drying time. Do this weeks ahead of time if you can.
http://www.bakerella.com/

3. Do a FBCT onto the side of the cake. This wont take as long as #2 and wont come out as clean either but its an idea. Theres how to's here on CC if you need them. Since its for a Wedding...I'd steer clear of this one. Along the same lines as this you could also do it in RI or even chocolate (WBH style) but....still I dont think it would be as clean lined.

**theres a trick to this let me know if you need it

Long term idea: invest in an "Insta Hot" for your sink (found at your local big box hardware store)(like Lowes). You will have instant hot water at a seconds notice. *Great for this and cleaning bc or RI off of utensils. This tip is worth a million $.

wrightway777 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 30

oh..one slight correction...I say "fondant" above...I mean gumpaste. I take my fondant and add Tylose powder to essentially make gumpaste.

Just have everything planned out if this is your first tiered cake WAY ahead of time. You can do it!!!
Are you comfortable with the planning stage and stacking techniques?

Deb has a very important point about telling the client that anything other than fondant is not going to be perfectly smooth. But has she tasted "the good stuff" many people havent and base their opinion on that chemical laden Wilton brand. See if she doesnt mind tasting Satin Ice or Fondarific. Both are great...Fondarific even though more $ is more forgiving.

You will need black fondant (strengthen it like I mention above with Tylose powder or an equivalent)...personally its not worth trying to do yourself (if you do: then mix black and violet till you get the right shade). Buy premade. GSA has the best price on Satin Ice fondant on the net.

wrightway777 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 30

heres a quick thread link that you might be interested in to pick up tips on smoothing at least.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=658158&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

chefdot Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 30

you guys are awesome! guess I have tons of reading and planning to do this week since the cake IS THIS SATURDAY! It was a last minute wedding so hopefully I can get the plaque done as soon as possible with my busy schedule and hopefully will be hard enough to be ok for the wedding.
I have plenty of experience with stacking cakes... I haven't even uploaded a cake of mine to cc in so long and have done lots. It's on my to do list. lol
I love this place and am so glad I have you guys for help! Just want this one to be perfect!

chefdot Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 30

Loucinda... what's an extruder?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 30

Makins green T extruder - they are in the clay isle at Michaels, Hobby Lobby - you push the gumpaste through it and it makes a perfect rope (or whatever die you are using!) It just makes a nice clean piece for making words etc. out of gumpaste.

chefdot Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:18pm
post #11 of 30

I am really nervous about how to even do the emblem. I have attached the pic of the colors and such but for the words, they will be different. I don't have any idea how I am gonna do this!!!!
LL

chefdot Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 30

So for the top they want it to say 'LOVE' instead of support, and 'STRONG' instead of Texas. Then on the banner in the middle they want it to say 'CHRIS + TRACI' but with a heart instead of a + sign. But in this font and everything, which I have no way of changing it on Word or anything. So stressed! I think I am just stressed about this part and not the cake itself. Any pointers or suggestions?

chefdot Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 30

The more I think about it an edible image would be the best way to go, but I don't have a way to change the emblem. If I can get my friend that is really good at that kind of thing to do it, do I then just adhere it to a piece of fondant with some water?

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:33pm
post #14 of 30

I don't do box mixes as they are expensive here, but the Mermaid bakery vanilla is great, as mentioned, and the better white scratch cake is also great.

wrightway777 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 2:47am
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdot

The more I think about it an edible image would be the best way to go, but I don't have a way to change the emblem. If I can get my friend that is really good at that kind of thing to do it, do I then just adhere it to a piece of fondant with some water?

Do now: keep this link as good info on how to apply edible images to different mediums. Scroll down on the site for Fondant application.
http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=1170277

Do later after this cake: Do some research on these guys:
http://www.kopykake.com/EpsonInks.html

wrightway777 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:46am
post #16 of 30

This would be for the fondant cutout idea:
If your friend cant get a mock up for you of what you need you could always use Word's Word Art Toolbar (everybody has Microsoft Word) within a document. Imagine Love at the top and Support at the bottom (I added them in the wrong order for this post)(I know they're not the right art type, color and size but you get the jist). Do the paper template idea that I mention earlier once you get the words to somewhat fit your initial design. Do you see what I mean? Oh, also the + sign would be a small heart cut from a heart cookie cutter or just make a quick paper template to cut your gumpaste or just freehand the heart.

You could always free hand the design on paper and then cut the letters out...use those as templates and then cut your gumpaste letters and apply to your precut gumpaste base. Your base...I'll assume you know how to quickly get a paper template by sizing your previous pic...let me know if I need to explain.

Did you get a chance to go to Michaels to look at the Makins extruder? Do you understand how you could make letters with this idea as previously mentioned?
LL
LL
LL

chefdot Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 6:02pm
post #17 of 30

That's so great wrightway777! But instead of Support it needs to be Strong. My friend did come up with one but she couldn't get it like these... I like these better. I just wish I knew how to do it so I could try, but I'm going to try at least.
I'm not sure how to go about doing a template and I didn't see an extruder and I'm not sure how that would work since I've never seen one or used one. I feel so dumb this time around... I normally would just do a BCT but I know it won't come out as smooth.
Bad part too, I don't have much time... the wedding is this Saturday!

wrightway777 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:43pm
post #18 of 30

chefdot - look further up this thread where I was talking about Bakerella doing paper templates. Its easy. Just tedious.

Quick plaque part of the topper tips:
1. right mouse click on your boozefighter image
2. Look at the small options window that opens and click on "copy image"
3. Open a word doc and press ctrl+V to paste the image on the word doc
4. click on your image now in word the image will look like it has borders.
5. use your mouse to drag the bottom right corner to whatever size that you want your plaque to be. (proportion it to the cake - u dont want it too small or too large)
6. Print it out as many times as needed for your layered color effect (for instance I would print it out 2-3 times). And then cut the black out of one sheet, cut the background green part of the plaque out and then cut the white part out. (really I would just do to and color in the void between the white and black part).
7. Theres where the makins comes in it can create small perfect ropes to go around the white part of the plaque or even to shape the rope into letters. Its not necessary at this point. That would be fast...but the paper template method would be cleaner.
IMHO with all the work you have to do the rest of this week I would say you must get this topper done by end of day today. It needs time to dry and its going to take you awhile to get all the paper templates together and your gumpaste colored and cut.

You start your baking tomorrow right (wrap and freeze)? How many and how big are your tiers? Thursday I would make sure I had the frostings/fillings to each tier done and the tiers assembled and dirty iced (crumb coated). That would leave you Friday to do all your fondant work.
On Saturday dont forget to take an Emergency kit. Are you serving it too?

chefdot Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:49pm
post #19 of 30

Well I guess I am screwed. I can't view the bakerella website here at work so it will have to wait till tonight and I cannot get off early today to run to the cake supply store to get the items needed for the plaque, was planning on going tomorrow. Is gumpaste better or fondant?

chefdot Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:52pm
post #20 of 30

I have black fondant at home so I am gonna at least cut out the main piece I would need in black tonight, that way there's plenty of time to get it to harden. Should I add anything to it to make it harden quicker? I thought I read somewhere that you can add something to fondant to do that but I am drawing a blank.
This is why I need to work in a bakery or cake supply store! So I can learn more since I am a hands on person.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #21 of 30

Gumpaste will dry harder then just fondant alone and be more sturdy for you.

Are you standing this plaque up on the top of the cake or placing it on the side?

I like to either use 50/50 fondant/gumpaste or fondant with tylose added for extra strength.

chefdot Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 10:25pm
post #22 of 30

I wanted to put it as the topper. But trying to figure out to put it up there without it falling too. Might use some sort of support and put more roses around it to cover the support up.
You can tylose at Michael's or Joann's right?

chefdot Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 11:27pm
post #23 of 30

YAY! I figured out how to make the emblem! woohoo!

wrightway777 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:35am
post #24 of 30

I use Tylose too to strengthen my fondant too and no its not at the local craft stores you have to buy it online unless you've got some cool cake supply store near you. Close your eyes and ears rest of CC...chefdot (due to your time constraints) go ahead since no one is eating the plaque and buy the gumpaste at Michaels. I've mentioned ways to support it (heavy gauge wire* or thin dowels...1/2 in your plaque and leave the rest sticking out to be sunk later into the cake)

Go here for your coupon (this lady's site is a one stop shop for your weekly craft coupons)(I go to it every Monday):
http://www.mycraftcoupons.com/

*if you do the wire idea...sink coffee stirrer straws first into the top tier and then sink your wire into the straw....there are tons of reason to do this. Also on Saturday...add to your Emergency kit an extra dowel or a popsicle stick or two. That way after you have sunk your plaque and if you see it start to lean...support the back with the extra dowel in the back (where no one can see it) or popsicle stick/s. They can be quickly painted with color if needed.

chefdot Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 10:36pm
post #25 of 30

I am ok to put the cakes in the fridge once the fondant is on the cakes, right?

wrightway777 Posted 13 Feb 2010 , 12:28am
post #26 of 30

Most say no. It will cause condensation once you remove it. Any form of water on fondant is not good (eats at it). I dont put it in the fridge. BUT cake boss does it all the time. Just make sure that if you already have it in the fridge take it out keep it in a cool place and it will be just fine till the Wedding tomorrow. Please post pics and tell us all about your 1st Wedding cake!!

wrightway777 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 1:56am
post #27 of 30

chefdot - how was your first Wedding cake? Tell us all about it when you have time. I hope everything went well.

chefdot Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:54pm
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

chefdot - how was your first Wedding cake? Tell us all about it when you have time. I hope everything went well.

I have been meaning to come on here at post the pics but my boyfriend has been in the hospital so I've been there most days and nights. I have the one I took with my phone so I am posting that one. I will also post a pic of the topper I did that came out great! And I even freehanded painted it! Was so proud! lol
I made the WASC cake and they loved it! Yummy! And I didn't get your message about not putting it in the fridge till now but I left them in there overnight and even set up the cake in the sun on Saturday and the bride said they were fine and yummy and nothing fell apart! yay!
Thank you everyone that helped me with this one! icon_smile.gif
LL

chefdot Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:59pm
post #29 of 30

Here's a crappy pic of a pic of the topper! lol I will post a better one tonight hopefully when I get home from the hospital.
LL

wrightway777 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:53am
post #30 of 30

Congrats on your very first Wedding Cake! You should feel very proud! Hope your bf is feeling better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%