Help! Crumbly Chocolate Rolled Fondant

Baking By hodl Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 2:05pm by hodl

hodl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hodl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:34am
post #1 of 8

Hello, I made a made a batch of chocolate rolled fondant. I used melted chocolate instead of the cocoa powder. I meassured and mixed all of the ingredients very carefully as this was the first time I have added chocolate to the fondant. I was very happy with the way it felt right after making it. By this I mean with the color, texture, elasticity,etc...It felt perfect. But then,...I wrapped it and let it rest form about 8 hours and as I tried to knead it again I was totally surprise as it did not have any elasticity al all. I tried to add some shortening and it did not help. I also tried adding some corn syrup to a small sample...this did not help either. In fact, while rolling it the texture would not soften enough to look even, it was very crumbly. This has never happended to me with regular rolled fondant or marshmallow fondant. Could this experience be the result of the melted chocolate vs. cocoa powder? Has anyone had this experience before? It actually felt like two completely different recipes from when I made it to what I had 8 hours later. Thank you for your opinions or advice.

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:37am
post #2 of 8

I had that happen before. It was my first attempt at chocolate fondant and I ended up throwing it out because it wasn't workable.

You might try microwaving it for a few seconds and then adding a bit of water or glycerin to it. I don't know if that will help or not, I know that it helps with regular MMF when it gets crumbly after being colored a deep color. Back when I made the chocolate fondant that way, I didn't know to try adding the water or glycerin, but I think it would be worth a try.

hodl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:50am
post #3 of 8

Texas_Rose, thank you for your reply.
I just tried adding some glycerin to another small sample from this batch. I seems to behave the sam as the sample to which I added corn syrup, still when rolling it it doesn't roll even, it is very weird. I will check this sample a little bit later again.

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 8

As I've never made it before I don't know for sure but I would say it is because you used melted chocolate rather than the cocoa powder and now it has had time to cool right down it is trying to resume its normal state so therefore becoming hard and crumbly. I would suggest you go again with cocoa powder.

hodl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 8

janeoxo thank you for replying,
I am definetely going to try it with the cocoa powder next time. I actually used semi sweet melted chocolate, but now I am wondering how some people have achieve Dark chocolate fondant??? icon_confused.gif

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 8

Hershey's has dark chocolate cocoa powder. It is great and much darker than regular cocoa.

hodl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:27pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you ALVARGA,
That's perfect, I will look for it. I didn't realize they have that product before, I thought there was only the "unsweetned" cocoa powder available out there. Thanks again.

hodl Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:05pm
post #8 of 8

Has anyone used successfully the Hershey dark chocolate cocoa powder for fondant. They describe it as processed like the Dutch cocoa powder. So I am a little bit confused as the recipe normally calls for non-alkalinized chocolate.
thank you to everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%