How To Get Peacock Blue?

Decorating By juststarted Updated 9 Feb 2010 , 12:47pm by all4cake

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:00am
post #1 of 16

Trying to achieve peacock blue in fondant. didn't get any clue searching online. hope you can help. thanks in advance.

15 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:17am
post #2 of 16

Geez! I just looked it up...there's no real clear definition of it either. My first thought was to use sky blue with royal blue added to it...possibly a smidge of green. After seeing all the variances (like depending on who's opinion one asks...even with the color palette sites, there was no exactness to the color), I just don't know!

Do you have a 'swatch' of the color...or something similar you can share?

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:27am
post #3 of 16

I don't even know what color peacock blue is. I tried google image searching but came up with some pretty different colors.

all4cake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:36am
post #4 of 16

even on actual peacocks, the 'peacock' blue is different!

http://www.india-wildlife-adventure.com/animals-in-india/indian-peacock-blue.html

juststarted Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:45am
post #5 of 16

lol, you guys are absolutely right. I should've mentioned which shade I'm trying to achieve. here is my goal color-
LL

all4cake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:47am
post #6 of 16

http://steelhead.aecom.yu.edu/birdwebphotos/Fowl/images/Peacock%20blue.jpg
I'd use the previously stated colors to achieve this color...within this ONE bird's neck, there's a wide variance of color....

all4cake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:49am
post #7 of 16

Isn't that beautiful!

sky blue and royal blue...more royal than sky for the image you shared juststarted. I don't know for sure now...that's just what I'd try.

all4cake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:55am
post #8 of 16
juststarted Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:24am
post #9 of 16

wow all4cake you did more research on this color than I did myself! the color mix guide you found is phenomenon. I think you shoud post the link on a new post and ask them to make a sticky, it will help a lot of newbies like me. however I think I'll try 2 parts royal blue with 1 part purple, what do you think?

all4cake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:27am
post #10 of 16

I thought the blue/purple mix looked the closest on that chart as well. If you have enough icing.... icon_smile.gif I'd be happy to see what you mix up!

juststarted Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:41am
post #11 of 16

thanks a million again, let's see how it goes.

juststarted Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 3:14am
post #12 of 16

Hi all4cake, this is the closest I could get, I was quite happy with the color:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1578857&done=1

all4cake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 7:52am
post #13 of 16

Nice color. Gorgeous cake! and that was the royal blue and purple? That's an intense color. I've got some cornflower blue, royal blue, and purple fondant (that's what I mixed to get the blue on the snowflake cake in my photos). I'm going to add some royal blue and a touch of green to it and see what happens. I really like that blue you made!

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 8:11am
post #14 of 16

There is a beautiful luster dust in a peacock blue too!

juststarted Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 10:41am
post #15 of 16

thank you both. all4cake, yes it was royal blue and purple. but I didn't have purple so mixed violet with red. and I probably spent about 15 toothpicks to finally get this color icon_smile.gif .

all4cake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:47pm
post #16 of 16

lambshack, I have a container of that color. You're right, it is beautiful! I would use it on accents...the container is sooooooo small I wouldn't want to use it all at once to color a batch of icing or fondant...I'm just a tightwad when it comes to those little containers

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%