Gold Fondant?

Decorating By Oklahomasweetie Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 11:47am by Texas_Rose

Oklahomasweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oklahomasweetie Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 1:51am
post #1 of 4

I'm going to be making a graduation cake in May for my graduating seniors. Our school colors are Black/Gold. Ive found a cute design but it means I need to cover one tier of the cake in gold fondant. I've been working on trying to find a color that looks right but haven't had any luck so far.

Coloring white fondant with Gold coloring leads to more of a yellowish mustard color. I get a good gold color by using Gold luster dust and vanilla and painting usually, but that is on details, not sure if that would be a good idea for an entire cake.

I guess i could buy an airbrush and do it that way but not sure if i am ready to invest in that yet since this is just a hobby.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. TIA

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiefool Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiefool Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 10:12am
post #3 of 4

I used this product in the silver with the intention of painting it onto a fondant covered "disco ball" and was really disappointed. The silver was more of a blue grey and it was so watery that the coverage was spotty. I tried 2 coats and could not get a solid silver look and it never did dry completely. It was also not very metallic looking like I wanted and it looked so bad that I couldn't use it on my cake. I love the look of the paint that you can make with dust and vodka and I've made the piping paint by mixing in powdered sugar and piping gel, but as the OP said, I don't know if this would be good for an entire tier. I read somewhere that you could make a paint by mixing the gold dust with powdered sugar first, but I can't recall where I saw this. I would very much like to find a good way to make fondant gold, silver, bronze, etc. without using an airbrush. Would airbrush paint, just painted on work as well? I don't know because I have no experience with airbrushes.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:47am
post #4 of 4

Airbrush paint can be painted on with a paintbrush. It takes some practice to keep from getting streaks though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%