Ha Ha, Did I "invent" A Cricut Technique?

Decorating By costumeczar Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm by TobiasWilhelm

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:39am
post #31 of 48

Okay, so I'm on ebay nad people are just bidding away...with 8 hours still left to bid! I never realized how hard it could be to bid on ebay for a cricut!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:42am
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandru10

Ok, so if I was going to buy the Circut, should I purchase the Cake Circut or Expressions Circut? If I buy the cake one, then will it cut paper or will it strictly be for cake usage? If thats the case then I suppose I should just get the expressions circut so I can use it for other things as well....

I would think that if you used a Cricut for caking, you wouldn't want to use it for scrapbooking. I would think that would cause a degree of cross contamination. You know paper particles and dies and all that. I don't know anyone who uses it for both. Just a thought.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 12:13pm
post #33 of 48

You can use it for both...The only things that touches the materials you're cutting is the tip of the needle on one side and the mat on the other. I noticed that there was some choclalte stuck to the bar that rolls over the mat, but that came right off, and it's stainless steel anyway. I don't think I'd use glittery paper or anything that has little fibers in it that could float around and get stuck on the machine, but other than that I wouldn't be worried about using it for both.

They said that the difference between the cake one and the regular one is that the cake one is specifically going to be food safe, with all the pieces made out of stainless steel. The housing is supposedly going to be more grease-resistant or something. Big deal, you just push the little grey rubber rings out of the way and it doesn't touch the gumpaste at all anyway.

LaBella, I have a friend who's considering selling her new Cricut that's been sitting in her closet. Do you want me to offer her a price for it to see if she'll sell it? PM me and I can pass the info on to her. Since you're local it wouldn't be an issue of shipping it, she lives out in Goochland so you could probably meet her somewhere if she does end up selling it.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:40pm
post #34 of 48

oh that brings back memories--lived in goochland from 93 to 00. nothing much there but the jail and cows. parrish's store had some really good bbq sandwich's tho :9

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #35 of 48

This post got me interested. What model of Cricut (excluding the one for cake) would you recommend?

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:18pm
post #36 of 48

costumeczar: Thank you soooo much for suggesting modeling chocolate!!!
I tried it this morning and I am thrilled with the results!! You're a genius! Check out my experiments...
Image[/url]

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:31pm
post #37 of 48

psmith, wow those look awesome! that would be so much easier than using a stencil.

costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:54pm
post #38 of 48

I'm glad it worked for someone other than me! Did you use the deep cut needle?

Omicake, I have the cricut expression, but you might be able to get more opinions on one of the other threads about it. I think there are people who have the other models who would be able to give you a good answer.

Omicake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:12pm
post #39 of 48

Thanks, costumeczar, for answering. Guess the Expression is the one I'll be buying.

psmith Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:15pm
post #40 of 48

I used the deep needle and housing. I am using the Cricut Personal model. I wish I had an Expression because they have the larger printing area.

Omicake Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:21pm
post #41 of 48

psmith, then I suppose the Personal will cost more than the Expression, is it not?

costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:32pm
post #42 of 48

I think the personal isn't as much because it's a little smaller.

psmith Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:21pm
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicake

psmith, then I suppose the Personal will cost more than the Expression, is it not?

Oh no! The personal is less. The drawback is that the printing space is also less than the next model up (Expression I think). So far, the Personal is working fine for my purposes. I think that the Expression is really good though if you want the space to print out circles for the tops of round cakes and larger size images. If I had it to do over, I'd probably try to find a good deal on the Expression model. icon_smile.gif

Omicake Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm
post #44 of 48

Don't know why I'm getting the posts cut (can't see them completely). That is why I thought your Personal had a larger cutting area. Instead you were only wishing yours was larger. I had to copy paste your answer in order to read it completely.That's why I thought the Personal cost more. Thanks to both for explaining so well.

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:38pm
post #45 of 48

uuummmm can someone tell me what is molding chocolate?

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm
post #46 of 48

I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!

Ok thoes who have it. What (for mostly writing words, nothing say over 3 1/2" tall for the sides of cake or smaller decorations on the top. Which machine would you choose?
can you give me the best MINIMUM shopping list!
Need the basics. for say writing words on the sides of wedding cakes or things like that....EEEEEEEEEEE SO Excited!!!!!!

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:20pm
post #47 of 48

can the person who emailed me please contact me again. I am not able to reply to either email in the message. What is your username on CC so I can contact you personally? Thank you.

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm
post #48 of 48

Base recipe is 7oz of Chocolate, melted and mixed with 2 TBSP of corn syrup - this will seize the chocolate. Once cooled down, it can be kneaded and ends up with a consistency similar to fondant. Since it sets with cold, it can be used to make figures, shapes and the like.

Tobias

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%