Disappointed

Decorating By Angel_Cake Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 2:36am by tracey1970

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 9

I have heard so many great things about Americolor red here on this forum, how it actually makes a true red, etc, that I finally bought some and tried it last night. And all I got... was coral. What am I doing wrong?!?!? Did I buy the wrong red? (I got Super Red) I thought I added enough of the color, but maybe I didn't add enough? I let it sit overnight and it deepened very slightly, but it's still definitely not red. Any advice anyone can give me would be much appreciated!

8 replies
nanascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanascakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 9

I had some trouble with Super red too. I put quite a bit in because I needed a deeper cranberry color and it came out a very dark brick red with a orangish undertone. I did some research and found on the Wilton site a description of their reds. Christmas red and Red-no taste have a blue undertone and Red-red has a yellow undertone. I used Red-no taste, quite a bit of it, and got a very nice darker true red. It was a much more pleasing color than the Americolor gumpaste roses I made.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 9

I still have trouble with red and black no matter which brand / how much I use.

ethanriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ethanriley Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 9

I usually us the Wilton No Taste Red, I have to use quite a lot of it but it always gives me a nice true red color

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 9

Earlene's Cakes sells a really nice red red color and it works great and comes out really really red www.earlenescakes.com

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 9

I didn't have good results with super red but wonderful results with Chinese Red. Maybe you just need to add a whole bunch more of the super red?

Anita8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anita8 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:12am
post #7 of 9

I use Wilton as well. I need to use a lot but it does come out very red. Check out my Heineken beer cake.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:16am
post #8 of 9

bcake1960... mentions earlenes site with the red red.. it is true.. it is a great red..

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 2:36am
post #9 of 9

Sorry to hear that. I use Americolor red almost exclusively, and I find I can get a nice red from it. Some people colour their white icing a dark pink first and then add red, since it's easier to get a nice red from a pink base than a white one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%