White Chocolate Ganache Under Mmf

Baking By ChristianD Updated 19 Aug 2010 , 3:59am by chilz822

ChristianD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristianD Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:33am
post #1 of 15

Hello All,

I am looking for a good, spreadable white chocolate ganache. I have never made ganache before. Do I spread it on a cake like I do crusting buttercream icing? Do I need to use the Viva papertowel method to make it smooth? Can I cover the cake with mmf after I apply the ganache? Please help!!!!!! Thanks so much!

14 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:42am
post #2 of 15

i would also like to know. i tried making white chocolate ganache only once and that was with a bag of nestle white chocolate morsels and heavy whipping cream. melted, it looked like a bowl of snot. runny, icky colored snot. is it supposed to look like that? or was it cuz i used nestle.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:16am
post #3 of 15

Here is a link to Rylan's ganache recipe. It is fabulous and you can do a white choc version too. You just let it get to the consistency of peanut butter in the fridge for a couple of hours after you cook it (I was impatient and did the freezer for 1/2 hour) then spread it on. It spreads really nicely and it hardens to a lovely finish. It is the perfect canvas for fondant. You can also get nice, sharp edges. I even froze the cake with ganache and MMF and it tasted perfect. Works great with the Amazing Choc WASC recipe too. She suggests a 3:1 ratio for white choc due to the differences in consistency from milk choc. I will definitely use it again and am eager to try the white choc too!

http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:41am
post #4 of 15

I've used the Nestle white morsels several times...12oz. bag + 1/2 cup of heavy cream.

I let it set, then spread it on and use a hot spatula to smooth. It works great and tastes so good.

You can definitely cover with MMF after.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:00am
post #5 of 15

I think Rylan is a male from another post I read a while back. I made the same mistake and feel really bad about iticon_sad.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:32am
post #6 of 15

I do the white choc ganache (both Hershey's and Nestle's chips) all the time. I rarely use buttercream anymore because by dipping the spatula in hot water, you can get the ganache sooooo smooth. It also dries to a nice shell. I brush it with some warm apricot preserves and cover with fondant.

It's a dream. I use a 3:1 ratio. It also freezes well

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 15

Great info thank you !!!

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

I do the white choc ganache (both Hershey's and Nestle's chips) all the time. I rarely use buttercream anymore because by dipping the spatula in hot water, you can get the ganache sooooo smooth. It also dries to a nice shell. I brush it with some warm apricot preserves and cover with fondant.

It's a dream. I use a 3:1 ratio. It also freezes well

Can you taste the glaze or do you use apricot because it's mild? I've read where other people use it often so I'm just curious about the flavor.

chilz822 Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:19pm
post #9 of 15

no, I've never been able to taste it. I add a little water to it and put it in the micro just long enough to loosen it up. You can also use corn syrup...

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 16 Aug 2010 , 10:35pm
post #10 of 15

Just wanted to point out that this particular person, Rylan Ty, is very much a beautiful, talented LADY!!
there are photos of her on her websight, artandappetite.com!!

http://www.artandappetite.com/

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:07am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

no, I've never been able to taste it. I add a little water to it and put it in the micro just long enough to loosen it up. You can also use corn syrup...

Thanks!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 12:36am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgleason

Just wanted to point out that this particular person, Rylan Ty, is very much a beautiful, talented LADY!!
there are photos of her on her websight, artandappetite.com!!

http://www.artandappetite.com/

I think you're referring to pics of Stevie Famulari, who he (Rylan) interviewed for his blog.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Aug 2010 , 3:06am
post #13 of 15

Rylan is a guy. He sent pictures of himself to a friend of mine who is also a cake decorator. He's Korean.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:02am
post #14 of 15

Chilz822, so you use 3 parts of chocolate to one part heavy cream? And it's easy to smooth? I want to try this!

chilz822 Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 3:59am
post #15 of 15

KayMc, yes that's right. I don't buy anything fancy, just regular white chocolate chips

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%