Pricing Advanced Products...flowers, Bows, Figures, Etc.

Business By DelectabilityCakes Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 10:23am by indydebi

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #1 of 10

Hey guys,

Here's the only pricing question I have so far and I hope I'm not going to get the normal answer of "expense + labor + profit = cost" formula on this one.. I'm just looking for the average amount. I'm trying to see if I'm overpricing or underpricing compared to everyone else. Our city is so varied at some bakeries charging 2.50 per serving of buttercream up past 7+ so I'm hoping to get a guesstimate.

I haven't called anyone on this one yet locally because I didn't want them to think I'm phishing for information.

How much do most people charge for sugar flowers? Is it per flower or per stem? Because I've seen it both and I didn't know which way it is done typically.

Also what is the average price of the fondant/gumpaste toppers as far as bows and figures.. I'm seeing anywhere between 10-20.

I'm thinking it all comes down to time on the advanced ideas. like pipework and the like...

icon_rolleyes.gif

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #2 of 10

Here is mine. Hope it helps! icon_biggrin.gif

Fondant/Gumpaste Roses: small - $5.00 each, large - $7.00 each

Fondant/Gumpaste flowers (other): price to be determined based on size and complexity of flower (Haven't made any other than roses, so I will develop prices for other flowers as I make them)

Fondant/Gumpaste Figurines: price based on size and complexity of design, minimum price $10.00

Fondant Swags: small (under 3")- $7.00 each, medium (under 6" to 3") - $10.00 each, large (6" up) - $15.00 each  

Fondant/Gumpaste Bows: simple: $15.00 each, multi-loop: $30.00 each

Handmade Fondant Pearls: $9.00 per dozen

Hand painted designs on fondant: price based on intricacy of design, minimum price of $25 per tier.  

Pastillage Plaque: $1.00/per square inch

Dragees/sugar pearls: $7.00 per dozen   

Buttercream roses: 50¢ per rose
4 and 5 cakes: 1st rose included in cost of cake
6 and 7 cakes: 1st 3 roses included in cost of cake
8 and 9 cakes: 1st 5 roses included in cost of cake
10 and 11 cakes: 1st 7 roses included in cost of cake
12 and 13 cakes: 1st 9 roses included in cost of cake
14 20 cakes: 1st dozen roses included in cost of cake
¼ sheet: 5 roses, ½ sheet: 9 roses, full sheet: 1 dozen roses

Luster dust (wet-painted): price based on intricacy of design, minimum price of $25 per tier.  

Luster dust (dry-brushed): $10.00 per tier  

Lambeth-style cakes: price of cake x 1.5  
Intricate string-work: price of cake x 1.5  
Basket-weave cakes: price of cake x 1.25 (covers cost of extra icing)

Silk flowers: price subject to cost of materials  

Cloth ribbon: price subject to cost of materials  

Fresh/sugared fruit and flowers: price subject to cost of materials  

Royal icing flowers: 25¢ each for drop flowers, 50¢ each for piped flowers

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:24am
post #3 of 10

Wow...I don't do all that. I will charge for figurines...and if there are alot of gumpaste flowers I charge for those (to save time and money for the client I buy them premade and dust them to order)...and of course I'd charge for any kind of toys or flowers put on a cake.

But otherwise I just look at the cake and in my mind I price per "how much detail" work there is involved. I have a range of prices and if its more basic, I charge XX amount, and if there is more detail than I add a dollar per serving....and so on. I think it gets overwhelming for the customer to charge individually for so many elements.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:28am
post #4 of 10

Well, this is the list I made for MY reference for determining what to charge for the cake. It's not a menu I show to the customers or anything. icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:30am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Well, this is the list I made for MY reference for determining what to charge for the cake. It's not a menu I show to the customers or anything. icon_biggrin.gif

Gotcha. icon_smile.gif

DelectabilityCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelectabilityCakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:31am
post #6 of 10

That's what I figured.. but I wanted to know how many people go by detail and how many people go by a set price.. like some bakers just have a portfolio of cakes with a flat price on it with all the details already thought of.. otherwise customizable designs/patterns are added up per element..

I'd rather charge by the cake rather than the servings/elements and just go individually. I agree it's probably less stressful for the customers and probably myself... but that's a WHOLE separate question...

Does anyone just charge by the cake and NOT the serving?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 4:25am
post #7 of 10

$3 per serving for all bc. $3.50 per serving for ANY fondant work.

toppers are a flat $40 - bow, flowers, whatever.

I have no reason to do figures.

Frankly I buy flowers and air brush them. It's a great little money maker. Flowers I sell for $4-7, depending on size and complexity of the flower. I mark them up 400% or so. icon_smile.gif

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:27am
post #8 of 10

In my area most bakers charge $3 per serving for buttercream and fondant start at $4.
I would charge more per serving for cakes with a lot of flowers instead of charging for each flower. But if you charge for each flower it's about $5.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:49am
post #9 of 10

Right now I charge per cake, I really need to come up with a better system. I start with a price per serving base price, and then add such and such per serving depending on complexity of design. I had a question similar to this one at the beginning of the week but just asking about figurines. The census there was that people charge a price per figurine so that you can help the person on a budget know where to eliminate design elements. Say they want 9 figures, you charge $10/figure--so they're paying $90 for figures alone, then they say, that's a little out of my budget, you can say we can take off some figures. Hope that makes sense, I'm tired and about to go to bed icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 10:23am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelectabilityCakes

Does anyone just charge by the cake and NOT the serving?

It becomes just a case of semantics. Those who charge by the cake are just doing-the-math for the customer.

I can tell a customer that a 10" square is $3/serving for 50 servings .... or I can tell her it's $150 for "the cake".

If you price by the cake, just take the number of servings divided into the price of "the cake" and you have a price-per-serving for that cake and that cake style/design.

I'd much rather figure the price per serving once for a certain style or design, than have to sit down and figure the price for Every. Single. Cake. that I made. icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%