Cutting Recipes In Half.

Baking By SallyBratt Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 5:52am by SallyBratt

SallyBratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SallyBratt Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:29am
post #1 of 6

This might not be the right section for this so feel free to move it.

I'm testing out some new recipes and unfortunately already wasted a bunch of ingredients on 2 crappy ones. Will I get proper results if I cut a recipe in half? I don't like throwing all of that money in the garbage.

5 replies
denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:37am
post #2 of 6

I have cut recipes in half, doubled, etc. I usually base it on the number of eggs so I don't have to deal with dividing an egg, although I am sure that is possible. If I was to decrease an cake recipe that called for 3 eggs I might try to do it by a third for example. If you divide you might also end up with some weird measurements. Half of 3/4 for example. Good practise for elementary school math!

SallyBratt Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:56am
post #3 of 6

Thanks

I knew doubling was ok but wasn't sure about cutting in half.

Isn't it annoying when you get a recipe off the net that has a whole bunch of wonderful reviews and it comes out really crappy?? icon_sad.gif I had to throw out a whole mudcake which used up the rest of my expensive Callebaut chocolate. So upsetting!! thumbsdown.gif

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:38am
post #4 of 6

Boy, I can't imagine anything so inedible I would throw it out though. I have hubby and friends I can get rid of anything to. But I also haven't had a total failure either though. Years ago when I made my wedding cake (just 3 carrot cakes simply decorated with cream cheese frosting on a cake holder that held the 3 cakes on their separate plates...no stacking or pillars or anything) and before I knew about flower nails and strips around the pan. I had lots of carrot cake domes I cut off. I put a layer of frosting on the cake cut-offs and layered them in a pan. Brought it to work and called it some funky name like layered carrot torte. Everyone loved it and it was just scrap cake!

AmandaLP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaLP Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:59am
post #5 of 6

When I am searching for a new recipe, I usually either go with a site that rates them (like here or recipezaar), or with a well known blogger, or I read enough recipes that most sound similar.

SallyBratt Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:52am
post #6 of 6

There's only me and my BF here and he's not a fan of sweets, for the most part. Plus he's all worried he's going to get fat icon_rolleyes.gif so I figured I'd just toss it or I'd end up eating the whole thing by myself. It wasn't horrible, I just didn't want it. I kept the white cake and it actually tastes better now that it's set overnight in saran wrap.

The mudcake was rated a 10 and had a lot of people say it was wonderful. I didn't like it at all. The white cake was so-so...I didn't throw it out but my other recipe is better. Its pretty much the same density and I was looking for a lighter one so there's no point in keeping it.

I'm going to try a coconut cake tonight and see how that goes.

If anyone has a scratch recipe for a light moist white cake I'd love to give it a try. The ones that I've tried that say they're white cakes come out yellow like my vanilla cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%