Tears In Fondant-What Now?

Decorating By txbakin Updated 7 Feb 2010 , 7:36am by kiwigal81

txbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txbakin Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:14am
post #1 of 5

I got really carried away with my rolling pin and had difficulty getting the fondant on. I have several tears. Short of starting over, is there any way that I can repair these. HELP!

4 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 5

If the tears are small, you can use a little bit of buttercream or royal icing (colored the same) to fill them in. Are there any decorations you can use to cover them up?

If the tears are very large, or you don't have any decorations, then it's best to rip it off and start over.

I was watching Sharon Zambito's Flawless Fondant last night, and she rolls her fondant a full 1/4" thick. You may want to keep that in mind next time you roll icon_smile.gif

txbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txbakin Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:54am
post #3 of 5

Thanks, Kellye for your response.

I tore off the fondant and cake came apart in chunks so, after working on it for 2 days, I just cut it all up and will send it back to son's dorm when he leaves tomorrow (college students will eat anything). I really have to hand it to all of the talented people here. After spendng a small fortune on all of the books and supplies, I am "O for 2" w/ this new endeavor icon_sad.gif Think I will call it a day.

Thanks, again.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:12am
post #4 of 5

Don't give up.... we all have bad days... Even Cake Boss has thrown a cake on the floor LOL. It will all be better tomorrow ( I tell myself this all the time LOL)

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:36am
post #5 of 5

Yeah, only call it a day for today. Not for good I hope. People are great on here, but if you find someone with 20 pages of pics, and you go to their first pics, they were all newbies too. You'll get there icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%