Can I Keep This Filling @ Rm Temp?

Decorating By lecrn Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 3:08am by Deb_

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 8

I've just filled a cake with white choc lemon truffle filling with the following ingredients:
4 cups white choc chips (melted)
1/3 cup butter
16 oz cream cheese
1/4 lemon juice
lemon zest
2 c powered sugar

The problem is, I just found out that the cake is for Sun instead of Sat. I was planning on filling & frosting the cake with BC tonight (placing in the fridge) & decorating tomorrow with fondant & gp decor. The cake would be fine @ rm temp for several hrs, however, the person is picking the cake up Sat afternoon & the party will be on Sunday. Will the cake be okay @ rm temp from Sat until the party on Sunday afternoon? The cake can't be left in the fridge overnight b/c of the gp decor. I've had problems with the decor becoming limp after in the fridge.

7 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 10:04pm
post #2 of 8

Personally with the cream cheese I wouldn't.

lecrn Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 8

That was what I was afraid of!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 8

I've put a gumpaste bow in the fridge before and it didn't get soggy at all. It was on top of buttercream and it was in the fridge for three days. I use Nick Lodge's gumpaste recipe and I'm not sure all gumpastes behave the same way though.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:33pm
post #5 of 8

i made g/p iris's for a friend.. she kept them in the freezer forever... ha!

lecrn Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:58am
post #6 of 8

The cake will have a bow, flowers, ladybugs, and butterflies, ect made from 50/50 fondant & tylose (that's technically not gp, I know). I usually use Satin Ice or Fondyx with the tylose. I can't remember the kind I used when the decor got soft. I may put one flower in overnight to see what happens.

I get so confused about what to refrigerate & what not to when it comes to cream cheese. I've ate cake with cream cheese icing that's been sitting out all day & haven't got sick. I don't want to take a chance with someone else. You also have to set cc out @ rm temp for several hrs to get it softened, so what's the cut-off?

lecrn Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:04am
post #7 of 8

BTW, Don't cakes tend to dry out when it's in the fridge. I rarely ever use a perishable filling b/c I afraid of that.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:08am
post #8 of 8

In my state I'm not allowed to sell perishable goods.

When I was going through the licensing process I had to submit my recipes for approval....all of my icings with cream cheese were considered perishable so I can't use them.

I thought this information may help you. Also, most of my recipes only used 8oz of cream cheese.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%