Crusting Bc Out Of The Fridge

Decorating By mmmmmarla Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 6:31am by mmmmmarla

mmmmmarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmarla Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, I need some help! I baked 2 cakes on Tuesday, crumb coated them and put them in the refridgerator. I took them out of the fridge early this morning to ice them, and now...SIX hours later, the crumb coat is still wet from sweating. How long will it take for them to dry out so I can ice them. OR, can I just apply the icing now? HEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!

4 replies
mmmmmarla Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:36am
post #2 of 5

Well, since no one answered, I'll take the liberty of posting a follow-up in case anyone else has this problem. I definately learned the hard way not to refridgerate your cake after you've crumb coated it, as once the icing gets "wet", it will never crust again. I scraped off as much as I could with a bench scraper and started over. ...Live and learn I guess.

JanJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanJess Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:43am
post #3 of 5

Sorry that happened to you. I don't usually crumb coat but if I ever do, I'll remember your lesson icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:58am
post #4 of 5

I always crumb coat, just don't refrigerate it after you do. But I guess you've already figured that out. Sorry this happened to you. Are you going to be able to salvage your cake?

mmmmmarla Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 6:31am
post #5 of 5

The cake is fine, thank you for asking. I gently scraped off as much as i could and recovered it. I seem to have a crumb problem and need the crumbcoat. Hopefully someday i'll be able to omit this step as it's pain in my rump.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%