Need Cake Frosting Recipe For Diabetic & Lactose Intoler

Baking By Maya15 Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 8:33am by JanH

Maya15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maya15 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 2

My best friend, who is both diabetic and lactose intolerant, is asking me to make a cake for her outdoor wedding in the summer. I told her I'd look into it because I really want to do this for her.

For the frosting, she's asking for something with a "whipped cream" kinda texture and flavor. I'm also concerned about the heat.

Does anyone have a good recipe for these types of conditions? This would mean so much to us.

1 reply
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 8:33am
post #2 of 2

Hi and Welcome to CC, Maya15. icon_smile.gif

The only truly diabetic friendly and lactose free recipe I can think of would be whipped egg whites sweetened with Splenda. However, it doesn't lend itself to decorating, and the frosting would be have to be prepared and served on the same day to keep the it from weeping and dissolving - so it's not a practical solution.

Dairy and non-dairy whipped icings don't hold up well in the heat, so that request is almost impossible to fulfill. icon_sad.gif

Rich's Bettercreme is a whipped non-dairy topping/filling that is shelf stable for about 5 days under normal conditions so that might be a consideration if:

1. The bride can tolerate one of its ingredients (sodium caseinate which is a milk protein) and will settle for a high fructose
corn syrup based frosting.

2. Is willing to compromise by keeping the cake inside, preferably in an air conditioned room.

More info on Rich's Bettercreme:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-666806-.html

The above super thread has some mock Bettercreme and other whipped frosting recipes but none of them would be appropriate based on the bride's wish list.

The bride might consider having only the top tier of cake and frosting be "diabetic friendly and lactose free" to allow the guests to enjoy a slice of frosted cake that most of them would find more palatable than a restricted diet offering.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%