Help Please...hole In My Cake..

Decorating By LuvLyrics Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 8:53pm by LuvLyrics

LuvLyrics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuvLyrics Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 9

Can I still fix a cake that baked with a hole in the middle, I don't know why the hole ...but right now i don't have time to bake another one, and the b-day it's tomorrow icon_cry.gif can I just add more filling in th middle? It;s a 2 tier..will the top sink it? Help PLEASE..

THANK YOU
ANNA

8 replies
_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 9

Is this for a paying customer?

LuvLyrics Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 9

yes, I am not charging much..b/c I am learning...and NOW,my top layer also sunk...why would this happen? I don't use the box mix,...could I've had added to much baking poweder???...almost crying here

_Jamie_ Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 9

You need to look over your recipe, make sure you followed the directions and re do it. No one deserves, paying, paying only a little, paying whatever to have a cake that's been filled in with bc to hide an improperly constructed cake. It will be a good learning experience. These are some of the things that happen when you accept money. You don't get to say "oh well, they aren't paying much..." It will be good for you. icon_smile.gif

LuvLyrics Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

You need to look over your recipe, make sure you followed the directions and re do it. No one deserves, paying, paying only a little, paying whatever to have a cake that's been filled in with bc to hide an improperly constructed cake. It will be a good learning experience. These are some of the things that happen when you accept money. You don't get to say "oh well, they aren't paying much..." It will be good for you. icon_smile.gif

I defently agree with you..... there is no way I would sell it, while baking I thought the sinking was going to be as much as the amount I was going to cut out to trim..but it didn't turn out like that... please don't miss understand me..i would not cheat anyone...I am even embarressed to have asked how to fix it...I guess a moment of desperation icon_cry.gif

It is a learning expirience...I double the recipe..one ingredient at a time... I also learned not to wait till the day before the event to bake the cake icon_sad.gif I've baked cake so many times before for friends and family for free and the first time i charge this happens ... icon_smile.gificon_sad.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cry.gif

Thank you for your advice Jamie..

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 9

What you're describing might be "tunneling" which is caused by improper mixing.

Handy cake trouble shooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

LuvLyrics Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 9

thanks Jan, I got lots of good information from those sites..

_Jamie_ Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 9

Yep--a little stressful at times, for sure. I have to rebake two 8" squares tonight because of a goofup late last night. Throws my schedule off wack. Eh...that's what coffee at 3:30 am is for. icon_biggrin.gif

LuvLyrics Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

Yep--a little stressful at times, for sure. I have to rebake two 8" squares tonight because of a goofup late last night. Throws my schedule off wack. Eh...that's what coffee at 3:30 am is for. icon_biggrin.gif

3:30 am..yeap that's about the time I went to bed..but I learned so much yesterday, i adjusted the recipe to less fat and 5g less of BP and it work great !!! I was so happy the way it turn out..pictures to follow later...need to download !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%