Sorry!!! Sps Question...

Decorating By Jealena Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 12:56pm by Jealena

Jealena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jealena Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 7

icon_smile.gif I know I have missed the answer to this somewhere but.....

Do you cover the card board circles to keep them from absorbing anything before placing cake on them and placing on separator plates??

Thanks for your help...

6 replies
Jealena Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 7

Please!!! Any help would be great....thank you....

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 7

Let me preface this by saying that I am only a hobby baker; I know when using foamcore a lot of people put press-n-seal on that since that is not food safe. Since cake circles are food safe, you do not have to place anything over them. However, that being said, the cake circles do get very greasy and tend to weaken. I usually put plastic wrap over the cake circle (when I remember) so that when the cake is being taken apart, the cake circle doesn't give out. We need one of the pros on here to answer this correctly. I would very much like to know the correct way to do this.

Sorry I wasn't much help! icon_cry.gif

Jealena Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much for answering the question. I like you, think it gets greasy and weak, but wasn't sure with the SPS if would make it more difficult to stack or too slippery??? Not sure the best way to do this. This will be my first time stacking a cake so high, 6 layers, and then having to drive over an hour to deliver. So I am pretty nervous about the whole thing and want to do it the best I can..... thanks again....

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 7

I have a three tier WEDDING cake due next week icon_eek.gif (this is my first wedding cake--a gift to the bride and groom). I will probably put plastic wrap on the cake board to help with the grease from the frosting but will not have it cover the bottom of the board; this way I can still put frosting/corn syrup/piping gel on the SPS plate to make sure it is "glued" to the cake board. Being the chicken that I am--lol--I will stack at the banquet hall. I am too worried that I will smudge up my borders if I do this ahead of time.

Good luck with your cake! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:34am
post #6 of 7

Nope, you do not need to cover the cardboards. They really don't soak up grease and get weak. Really they don't. and since they're sitting on a hard plastic plate, all will be fine.

Jealena Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you. ...I new the cake boards had some kind of wax coating but wasn't sure. Me being new to stacking cakes, just needed some expert advice. Thanks for all your help....I will give it a go....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%