How Long Does Royal Icing Last?

Baking By doramoreno62 Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 1:31am by bonniebakes

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:57am
post #1 of 8

I made too much RI. I don't want to throw it away so I put it in a ziplock bag. My question is: How long will it be good for? Do I store it in the fridge?
Thanks in advance for your help! thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 8

I freeze my RI and it lasts a long time. When you take it out of the freezer, mix it when it defrosts before using. (it never really gets rock hard in freezer)

doramoreno62 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 8

I'll try it, thanks so much!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 8

When i make a big batch of Antonia'a, i keep it nice and stiff and transfer what i need to another bowl to thin out. I then refrigerate the rest, which lasts quite a bit of time (longest for me was a month when i used it; don't know how long it would last after that). The stiff RI doesn't tend to separate as does the thinned out one, so i generally don't need to re-beat; just scoop out what i need, thin it out, and use.

doramoreno62 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks luv2bake6. i make mine pretty stiff too. I'll probably be able to use it up for valentines day. Thanks for the tips!

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:11am
post #6 of 8

my WMI told me 3 years if properly stored. I use the basic RI recipe from wilton.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:19am
post #7 of 8

I keep mine in a container at room temp, lasts me a few weeks

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 1:31am
post #8 of 8

I keep mine in a air-tight container (like tupperware) at room temperature and away for heat and sunlight. I store it that way for up to 10 days. After that, I only use it for practice, not consumption.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%