Dry Red Velvet

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 7:01am by Karema

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 12:54am
post #1 of 32

I tried my first batch of red velvet and it turned out great! As I was trimming it I tasted the scraps and they were so yummy!! So I iced and decorated it with cream cheese frosting. After I did so, I realized I didn't know if the frosting needed to be kept refrigerated. So, rather than spoil a cake, I put it in the fridge. That was yesterday. Then today after dinner I took it out and sliced it up, putting the slices in baggies to freeze. I left one out for myself to eat and it was quite dry!

Is this because I kept it in the fridge? I always thought icing helped to keep the moisture in the cake. I've tried two week old cake before that had icing covering it and it was just as moist as the first day I made it.

Can anyone give me any clues? I used the Rose Red Velvet cake recipe from "Rose's Heavenly Cakes" and Edna's Crusting Cream Cheese Buttercream.

31 replies
KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 2:21am
post #2 of 32

Hmm....I've had no problems refrigerating this cake. The vegetable oil keeps it moist. After refrigerating, did you taste it while the cake the cake was still cold? If so that could be the reason why it tasted dry. It needs to come up to room temp so that you get the full flavor and moistness of a fresh cake.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:41am
post #3 of 32

The recipe called for canola oil, so I used that. It also called for superfine sugar, which I went to the store and bought just for this cake. I was surprised at what a difference it makes! I might have to use that kind of sugar from now on!

The cake was still a little cool when I ate it. Maybe that was the issue. I was just afraid of the frosting spoiling as I've never made cream cheese frosting before. The only stuff I've worked with before was store bought and loaded with preservatives. I'll try another piece tomorrow that's come to room temp.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 5:47am
post #4 of 32

Whoops, you're right, it's canola oil. Let us know how the room temp taste test goes.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 3:59am
post #5 of 32

well i tried it room temp. Still dry.

I'm perplexed. I thought it was so good when I tried the scraps.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:15am
post #6 of 32

I have never, ever been able to make a red velvet cake that was moist enough for me. Not from a mix, not from scratch, not from a doctored mix. I've tried probably 10 recipes...and I don't even LIKE red velvet to begin with! But my hubby does. For now, I've given up. Though I will ask...did you cover the cake with anything when you put it in the fridge? Saran wrap maybe? That always helps (after the frosting has crusted).

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:23am
post #7 of 32

Sounds strange... but try freezing it for a day. My cakes always seem more moist after they have been frozen 24 hrs and thawed.

Peaches0624 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peaches0624 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 5:22am
post #8 of 32

Question: So does freezing a cake on pertain to this type of cake or does it work for regular cakes aswell. Just wondering thanks.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 32

Reg cakes too.... I know it sounds strange lol

minerva16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minerva16 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 8:18pm
post #10 of 32

I have noticed that when I refrigerate Red Velvet cakes they tend to be dryer than if they were out the entire time. I do love the Cake Man Raven's recipe. Just do an internet search. I guarantee it will be moist and sweet enough. Whenever I make this cake people rave over it.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 32

I don't have alot of experience with red velvet but I made the WASC red velvet variation and froze it. The cake was very moist even after being refrigerated. As is eveidenced by how gooey it looks in my pics of the cut seven layer. (wish I woulda cleaned it up before I took the pic! icon_redface.gif )

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 32

OP, did you weigh your ingredients or measure by volume?

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:09am
post #13 of 32

I measured by volume. And normally I would let my cakes sit out rather than chill them, but I was just concerned about the creamcheese frosting spoiling (i've never made cream cheese frosting before).

I'm going to try the Cake Man's recipe. I'm willing to try anything until I find a good recipe!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:21am
post #14 of 32

I'm looking for a good red velvet recipe, as well. Could someone direct me to the WASC version? Is it here on CC? TIA icon_smile.gif

Seesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seesa Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:43am
post #15 of 32

I have been using cream cheese icing for 30 some odd years. I always leave it out at room temp and I have never had it to spoil.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #16 of 32

I use a b/c with a 1/4 of cream cheese to replace shortening.... it always holds up fine.

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 12:48pm
post #17 of 32

For a 2# bag of domino sugar , I use 1c cream cheese, 1/2c high ratio shortening and 1/2c butter, 2 tsp vanilla flavor, 1/2 tsp butter flavor, 1/16 tsp popcorn salt, 4Tb meringue powder, about 4Tb water (depending on weather), then the 2# bag of sugar,and NEVER have a problem leaving it out at room temp.

Edit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edit Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 1:40pm
post #18 of 32

You may want to try this recipe again by measuring the ingredients by weitght. Rose is big on accuracy. If you had too much flour in the cake it could have caused it to be dry.
1 cup cake flour, sifted = 100 g
1 cup, lightly spooned = 114 g
1 cup, dip and sweep = 130 g (the difference here is an ounce bigger, than cake flour, sifted).
You can end up 3 ounces more flour with 3 cups of cake flour in a recipe with the volume measure. Besides measuring by weight will give you consistent results every time.
I invested in a digital scale and just love it.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:05am
post #19 of 32

I said I used a red velvet WASC version but it's listed on CC as Easy Red Velvet: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7461/easy-red-velvet. I think I thought it a variant because the recipe is similar.

It made a really moist and flavorful cake that held up to the freezer, thaw, decorate and subsequent fridging.

I'm a stickler for food safety so the cream cheese frosted cakes always go in the fridge. Just because my thirty-something year old immune system can take some abuse doesn't mean my 4 year old daughter or 80 year old grandparents can take the same without getting sick.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:15am
post #20 of 32

thanks for the link to the WASC version. icon_smile.gif I'm gonna try this one.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 1:26am
post #21 of 32

Im gonna try that wasc version too. So that's 2 things to try. Along with my IMBC and SMBC that I would like to master!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 8:03pm
post #22 of 32

I use Sarah's red velvet tweeked recipe on this site and it's very moist and delicious.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 2:00am
post #23 of 32

I used the red velvet recipe on allrecipes (basically french vanilla cake with pudding and with a tbsp of cocoa, vinegar, and the red food colour) It was sooo moist and everyone at work went nuts over it - extremely easy tooicon_smile.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 11 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #24 of 32

I personally find that recipe to be just shy of dry with a very nice super fine crumb. I'm sure the fridge pushed it over the edge. I stick with Cakeman Raven's RV, changed to my tast. I also don't refridgerate the cake cause of the cream cheese. NO one has EVER gotten sick and I make them on a regular basis. Heck, I've even made it with actual cheesecake between the layers and it was fine the next day.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 1:44am
post #25 of 32

Well I just tried the Easy Red Velvet recipe tonight. I tasted the stuff I trimmed off the top and it just tastes a touch like chocolate cake. Hmmm.

Is red velvet supposed to taste like chocolate cake with a hint of red color? I made 2 8" rounds and 2 6" rounds. Practicing stacking a cake. I used the rest of my cream cheese icing from earlier as a filling and iced the whole thing with regular buttercream. Actually a new recipe (Buttercream Dream). I do like how the flavor is more buttery. But it's quite soft. I prefer a heavier frosting I think just because it's easier to decorate with somehow. That doesn't really make any sense. I just hope everything tastes alright when I cut into it!

At least I have another cake for my portfolio!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 4:34am
post #26 of 32

Not at all! It's supposed to have a "whisper" of chocolate cake on top of it's own unique flavor. A lot of people say it's just like a chocolate cake, colored red, and that is very inaccurate.

cake_mama6115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_mama6115 Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 5:17am
post #27 of 32

I made my first Red Velvet Cake tonight, almost forgot to put the oil in icon_cry.gif ! Thankfully I caught it before baking it. I used Chef Stephs recipe from CC. After reading these posts I sure hope it turns out. Guess i'll have to wait till it's done baking. Also I always freeze my cakes before icing and have never had trouble with them being dry.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:58am
post #28 of 32

A few months ago I did a Red Velvet Cake taste test where I baked 8 different RV recipes and had 25+ people at work select their favorite. The winner was Cake Man Ravens Red Velvet and in second place was the Pastry Queens Rebecca Rather Red Velvet. A few days after the first RV taste test I found Roses Red Velvet recipe so I had a second round of taste test. Cake Man Raven came out #1 again.

If you want to see all the results check out my blog:

http://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2009/11/ultimate-red-velvet-cake-taste-off-8.html
http://thebakemore.blogspot.com/2009/12/red-velvet-taste-test-round-2.html

anotherslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anotherslice Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #29 of 32

Yesterday I made Cake Man Raven's Red Velvet cake recipe that is on his website. It turned out so moist and delicious. The only thing that I changed is that I used much less red food coloring (about a teaspoon in total). I got many compliments on the cake when I brought it to work.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 1:49am
post #30 of 32

I also made cake man ravens red velvet yesterday along with the recipe from McCormack (the ones that make the red dye) and asked all my friends to vote. It was funny but all the women loved cake man ravens and all the men liked McCormacks with only one exception. Now I am in a quandry as I need to make RV for a order and I don't know which one to use. LOL so much for my taste test

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%