Cut 2 Cake Layers In Half To Make A Four Layer Cake?

Decorating By careylynn Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 8:44pm by lisaw

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 13

I have a question for you all...how many of you cut the cake layers in half with a leveler to make 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling and how many of you simply do the 2 full cake layers and one layer of filling?

Do you only do it for the smaller sizes of cake and not for the bigger(12in or bigger)? Or is it merely preference, or customer choice? The few cakes I've done, I've always split the layers to make a 4/3 layered cake, but I'm wondering if it isn't the norm or isn't necessary.

And, while I'm on this topic, if you do a 4/3 layered cake, is it better to do a fruit filling, etc.. instead of buttercream filling, so it isn't too sweet? Or a combination of both, 2 fruit, 1 buttercream? I'm just trying to get some ideas, thanks icon_smile.gif

12 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 13

I fully torte all my cakes - that is, I make them into 1in deep layers of cake and sandwich them back together with a filling (which can be standard buttercream, whipped ganache, meringue buttercream, all usually paired with a preserve in the same layer. My cakes are not cheap, so they should be as full-on as possible IMO. If I were charging only $2 or $3 per serving then I probably would only go that far on wedding cakes (and charge more for them).

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 13

I almost always split each layer so I have a 4/3 ratio of layers to filling. I like the height and for tiered cakes I think short tiers look dumpy. My fillings are seldom buttercream. Let your imagination run wild! Lemon curd, whipped chocolate ganache, fruit filling, honey cream cheese, rich orange buttercream (made with egg yokes not whites)...the possibilities are endless. Often the flavor of the cake can inspire a complimentary filling. Have fun!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 13

For beginners, I find that torting can make the layers unstable. I have read chilling the cakes helps to make them easier to handle. I prefer torting because I like the extra filling but I have a hard time getting the nice pretty straight sides if I torte. I think some of that may boil down to practice.

On topsy turvies I wouldn't torte just for stability but that may be just fear on my particon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 13

I like the look of and the taste of icing or filling with ever bite. So I do torte my layers.

If I am doing a filling other than buttercream then my cake would be...

cake - filling - cake - icing - cake - filling - cake

If I am just using icing then it goes between the cake layers.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 13

if you torte your layers you should mark where to line the layers back up using toothpicks , that way they'll line up better and give you straighter sides.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:09pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

On topsy turvies I wouldn't torte just for stability but that may be just fear on my particon_smile.gif

It's no problem so long as you don't use slippery fillings. I will only allow topsy to be filled with standard buttercream, whipped ganache or meringue buttercream. No preserves, curds, fruit fillings etc etc! I'm not fond of doing Topsy-Turveys decorated in buttercream though (but I have), I like to do them in fondant - then I can put setting ganache underneath and those suckers will be going nowhere thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 13

I torte every layer, every cake.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

if you torte your layers you should mark where to line the layers back up using toothpicks , that way they'll line up better and give you straighter sides.

Thanks for this advise, i was always afraid of torting a large cake 12 on up cause i usally couldnt get the sides even , How many toothpicks do you use? Thanks

erinalicia Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Thanks for this advise, i was always afraid of torting a large cake 12 on up cause i usally couldnt get the sides even , How many toothpicks do you use? Thanks

If you just put a toothpick on either side of your cut in one spot that's all you need for a reference point to line them up. Just make sure to do one layer at a time, if you're like me and get the two layers mixed up! LOL

careylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
careylynn Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks Ladies! Like I said, I've "torted" (didn't know that is what you call it icon_smile.gif ) all my cakes (the few I've done!) but I wanted to make sure that was the norm and that I wasn't adding more work than need be!
Let me ask you two other questions, then. How do you move the torted layers without breaking them for the bigger cakes? I've done a 12in and only broke one, but stressed myself out doing it. I slid a cake round under the layer and slid it off onto the cake, is there a better way?
Second, do you have any suggestions for a filling for someone who doesn't really like cake, only "white cake with white frosting" (lol-imaginative, I know! Wonder why he ordered a cake to begin with icon_smile.gif haha), I found a nice white cake recipe, and I was going to do a "not-so-sweet buttercream", but I would like to try some sort of filling other than buttercream and ganache. Any ideas?

erinalicia Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 13

I like raspberry, strawberry or blackberry preserves with plain white/vanilla cake. Maybe one layer of filling in the middle with buttercream and then the 2 outer layers with the preserves. Blackberry is actually my favorite. Lemon or lime curd is good too. White cake to me is just a blank slate, anything goes with it.

lisaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisaw Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:44pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:

You can also smear on a small dab of buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%