Costing Question

Decorating By sherrycanary62 Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 4:34pm by TexasSugar

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I am just a hobby baker but I want to keep track of what it is costing me to make a cake and I might at that I am a math nerner!!!

how do I calculate a per serving...for instance

1 can of shortening...paid 3.14 there are 108 tablespoons per can...that comes out to 6.75 cups per can...how to I calcuate the per cup cost? multiply what by what? divide what by what?

TIA

Happy Caking
Sherry

8 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 9

it is a lot of maths! made easier if you set up a spreadsheet, then you can easily allow for changes in price, add up the cost of a cake.
divide the cost of the ingredient by the measure you use - i will tell u tht grams is easier than 0.X of a cup! so 1 cup = so many cents. your recipe calls for 2 cups, so 2 x last answer.
xx

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 9

You would take the cost $3.14 and divide it by the 6.75 cups and that would tell you how much $ per cup. 46.5cents per cup. Dont forget to add in your cost of things like paper towels, parchment wax paper, food coloring, sprinkles, etc. And if you go to your power company website they have info on how you can calculate your electricity usage...I havent gone that far myself, but my husband has complained that the electric bill has gone up since I've been baking so much.

sherrycanary62 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 9

thank you for your replies. They helped much! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 9

I would either take your 6.75 cups and say it is either 27 1/4 cups or 13 1/2 cups.

Take that number and divide it into the price. 3.14 divided by 27 gives you .12. Which means ever 1/4th cup of shortening is 12 cents.

Or 3.14 divide by 13 which is .24. Every 1/2 cup is .24 cents.

From there you can figure that if your recipe calls for one cup of shortening it is .48 cents or .96 cents for two cups.

Ritakk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritakk Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 9

I wonder if anyone already has a basic spreadsheet they could share with us newbies? I just get lost adding and subtracting and multiplying everything! There must be a simplier way! icon_mad.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

Hi, I am just a hobby baker but I want to keep track of what it is costing me to make a cake and I might at that I am a math nerner!!!

how do I calculate a per serving...for instance

1 can of shortening...paid 3.14 there are 108 tablespoons per can...that comes out to 6.75 cups per can...how to I calcuate the per cup cost? multiply what by what? divide what by what?

1 x can shortneing = $3.14
Divided by 108 Tablespoons = $0.029 cents a Tablespoon (roughly)

1 x can shortening = $3.14
Divided by 6.75 cups = $0.465 cents a cup. (roughly)

Every cup of shortening you use costs you $0.465 cents
Every Tablespoon of shorteneing you use costs you $0.029 cents.

If you use 2 cups of shortening in a recipe it will cost you 93 cents
If you use 2 Tablespoons of shortening in a recipe it will cost you 58 cents

Bluehue.

TIA

Happy Caking
Sherry

sherrycanary62 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:27pm
post #8 of 9

thank you all for your replies...it made it so much easier and more math "understable" to me...I just couldn't get from point A to Point B

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritakk

I wonder if anyone already has a basic spreadsheet they could share with us newbies? I just get lost adding and subtracting and multiplying everything! There must be a simplier way! icon_mad.gif

Look at the sticky notes in the Business Section. There are two threads with them.

Sherry, numbers aren't always my thing, so I can totally understand. Once you get going it does get easier though. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%