Help! Giant Bubbles In Cookies!

Baking By bellsnbows Updated 5 Feb 2010 , 8:57pm by luv2bake6

bellsnbows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellsnbows Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 10

Please help! I make cookies quite often using NFSC. Every once in a while I get giant bubbles/lumps in them when they are baking. I usually just discard the ones that have these lumps, but last night every cookie I made came out with HUGE lumps all over them. My husband made the dough for me, so I blame it on him! Ha! Does anyone know why this is happening? Thanks!

9 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 10

Maybe he mixed too much the butter-sugar-eggs mixture and then many air bubbles were incorporated...

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:01pm
post #3 of 10

this happens to me on occasion. i usually flatten my cookies *gently* with a spatula when i first take them out of the oven. gets rid of the bubbles : )

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

this happens to me on occasion. i usually flatten my cookies *gently* with a spatula when i first take them out of the oven. gets rid of the bubbles : )

yep. same here. I haven't figured out why yet, and that's frustrating me, but using a spatula to gently smooth them out right after they come out of the oven fixes them right up!

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:34pm
post #5 of 10

icon_sad.gif sorry I can't help. I was sad at this post though, I thought someone had invented a way to *make* 'Giant Bubble Cookies' and I was sooo excited!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 10

I think i read somewhere here that they just turn the cookie over and decorate the that side.

bellsnbows Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellsnbows Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you all! I gently pushed down the bubble in the batch I did tonight and it worked great. Unfortunately, that didn't help with the ones I did the night before. I couldn't even turn them over because the back had holes from where the bubbles rose up. I took a knife and scraped the bubbles off, almost like sanding them. I still wish I knew the reason why this happens, but at least I know how to fix it when it does!

Sorry, I didn't event a way to make bubble cookies! Ha!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:45pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

thanks for the info, this happened a few times to me also, now I know what to do.

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:10pm
post #9 of 10

I have this problem mainly when I bake the cookies with the stick.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 10

I finally figured out what causes the many bubbles on the underside of my cookies. I generally reuse parchment sheets a few times. When i use a fresh sheet, the cookies are perfect; no spreading, no bubbles. After that, they start to spread a bit and then produce the bubbles. I'm assuming i'm getting the spread because of the residual grease left over from the previous baking. And, after baking the first time, i notice the parchment sheets wrinkle a bit so i'm wondering if that and the previous residue has anything to do with the bubbles.
I would hate to use new sheets of parchment with every batch as it's not cheap, and i could be wrong, but that's what i'm noticing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%